Sign in to follow this  
rwcstang

steering wheel sizes

so I wanted your guys opinion on steering wheel sizes, what would be preferred size for normal driving/street use? 15, 14.5? does it make a difference when going smaller? 

thanks in advance

Well, it's all very subjective.. I always liked the Rim Blow wheel (which I have). A buddy of mine have a '70 Mach 1 with a 13" or 14" steering wheel, (never measured it but a lot smaller than a Rimblow wheel) and that car isn't any good to drive. It's just ...stumpy. It's the only word I can use to describe the steering feel of that car. A car with  a lot of turns from lock to lock need a big wheel. A tight lock to lock can use a smaller wheel.

i do have power steering, currently I have a 13 3/4  steering wheel but not happy with it, I might go back to my original 15" but my foam pad and steering wheel outer rim are cracking/separating are the repros any good? 

I had a 15" wheel but it did not leave much space trying to slide my legs under it to get in the seat. I went to a 13" wheel but i feel like it looks to small for the space. I am looking to get a flat bottom or d shape steering wheel, if i can find the right one. the one below would work, but pricey...

http://www.billetspecialties.com/steering-wheels/d-shaped-collection-14/half-wrap-steering-wheels/d-shaped-collection/blk29409/

The 16:1 ratio box on the PS Mustang works better with the 14 inch wheel, in my opinion.   I will not be going back to my original 15 inch wheel.  The 14 inch gives better control, feels "right"