Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

Question on mixing hardlines with braided lines

My project has not made much progress due to my father-in-laws illness. I have gathered all parts needed to convert my 3/8" fuel line to a 1/2" hard line and mechanical pump to electric.

My question is:

I'm using bulkhead fittings to transition between the in tank fuel pump Supply & Return lines.  At the bulkhead fitting outside of the trunk do you think its best to have a flex line (SS braided) for body movement between the bulkhead fitting and S&R hard lines?

Or is there any body movement at all, such as the front fuel supply when the engine torques there's movement at small rubber hose between the supply and fuel pump.

My original thought was to go from the bulkhead fitting right into the hard line so that there is LESS fittings in between.

What do you think is best?

Thanks!

John  

I can't imagine the body flexing that much to damage a line or fitting without causing other damage first.  I used hard lines all the way to the front on mine.  The clips that secure the lines are not 100% ridged and would allow it to move somewhat. Thats my take on it anyway.

Have you ordered your FiTech TBI yet or you planning to go with something else?

Dave 

I was wondering how much flex the body has when there is torque or a load put on the car. That might cause the joints to loosen over time.  I just want to prevent any possible problems with electric fuel pump pressure.

Do you really need that 1/2" line? How much HP you going to have?

If you slow the flow of fuel through the line as it goes under the car,most has more time to pick up heat.

As it picked up heat you can get a little reduction of HP and you can also have some vapor lock issues

Bob

Not a monster of a motor, I'd say close to 400 hp, it's a 351 Cleveland with the 4V closed chamber heads.

I've always had a fuel pressure problems at high rpms, it has been suggested by several to use a bigger line for more volume.

As for return, Aeromotive says no smaller than a 1/2" on return when using a carb.