Sign in to follow this  
det0326

351w headers

I'm at the stage of my build that i need to order headers. I have searched the previous threads and have not found an answer to my specific questions. I have a 69 mach 1 with aod tranny cpp power steering box and afr 165 heads. I called dougs headers and asked about the D669Y tri-y headers and he told me they would clear the aod and cpp box with out a hitch but the afr heads was the problem, something about the ports being raised higher than oem heads would cause the alignment to be off and they would not fit. Any you guys have the same set up as I have and tried to fit the doug headers on.

Does anyone have any advice as to what would fit without re-manufacturing them . Full lengths are out I don't won't them.

Thanks Dave

Update -   I had sent an email to tech department before I decided to call Doug's Headers and talk to them and as described above is what someone told me that the aod and cpp box is no issue of fitment but the afr heads were.  Well the email was different it stated that the afr 165 heads and aod were no issue but the cpp box they did not know if it would work around it or not.  Any ideas?

Thanks  Dave

Full lengths are out I don't won't them.

Thanks Dave

Sorry no help on the cpp box, but I'm curious why you don't want long tubes? I thought they were supposed to make it breathe better.

Which engine do you have? We may have similar builds and headers will be one of my problems with a 351w and 4R70W trans.

Sorry no help on the cpp box, but I'm curious why you don't want long tubes? I thought they were supposed to make it breathe better.

Which engine do you have? We may have similar builds and headers will be one of my problems with a 351w and 4R70W trans.

Hello Mach1 Driver  

Nothing wrong with the long tube headers yes they will make more power.  What i have found in researching this is they almost always need to be cut bent or both to line up. They also hang lower and have a tendency to drag on everything but some brands may not I don't know. My engine may benefit more from long tubes but I just didn't want the hassle.   I have a 4R tranny also that I rob the internals from for my aod and the only difference I see in the two is the 4R is a little longer in the bell area because the converter is a little longer but otherwise pretty much physically identical  except for the electronic.  The 4R's converter is a little longer I guess because of the clutch that makes it a true lockup.

Dave 

You should talk to Stan at FPA. He makes an awesome quality headers.I have a 351w with Dart Pro 1 heads which have the exhaust ports 1.25 in higher that stock. The only headers off the shelf that would fit was Hooker Super Comps Long tube. but after hearing many posts on figment and scraping issues I bit the bullet and bought the FPAs. They were definitely pricey but fit perfectly and tuck up nicely under the body, no figment or scraping what so ever and speed bumps are not an issue.These are beautifully made and great quality. I have no regrets and Stan also told me that is I decided to go with an AOD down the road that these will not be problem. So I say call Stan at FPA ( Ford Powertrain Applications)....Good luck!

Got Doug's with my 351w, edelbrock performer rpm heads, and 4R trans. Plenty of room by the steering box. I can get you a photo of you need. Even with a stock box, there should bee enough room for your box.

thanks Bryon  for your reply  about the clearance around the steering box.  I called Doug's and they told me that the D996Y would fit around the cpp box just fine but the email that I had sent earlier finally was answered later on that day and the response was that they didn't know. So i just happen to think that I still have my old box so I measured it from frame mounting surface to the farthest point toward the engine and the same measurement on the cpp box, the best I could tell the cpp box stuck out from the frame rail about 1/8" more than stock box.   With information from that and what you so kindly gave me I ordered the D996Y tri-Y's from Doug's. Hope to get them in a week or so.

Thanks Dave

Thanks Barn 

I have seen you recommend them on other threads. What is the reason seal better fit port shape better or some other reason?

Dave

yes and yes, plus they have a high crush factor so they will in fact seal many warped headers PLUS they will never burn out like paper gaskets always seem to because they are 100% graphite . just dont bend them.

Got headers today .  Mostly fit very well . On drivers side had to drop steering link down and take transmission cross member loose and slide tail housing  toward passenger side to clear steering box once in place they cleared everything fine.  Passenger side only had to remove starter.

Dave

you dont want the trans out of line with the differential.

You miss understood I only moved it over to gain some clearance between the engine and steering box then put everything back where it belongs.

Dave

You miss understood I only moved it over to gain some clearance between the engine and steering box then put everything back where it belongs.

Dave

ah, xlnt.

which headers did you get so others know what might fit.

Glad to hear that everything fit well, so I'll be using those too. Just so Dave's dyslexia doesn't get the better of him again I'll just give the part number, it's Doug's D669Y ;) 

FYI "D669Y-1" is for 3" wide SBF bolt pattern on AFR 225cc heads and others and D669Y is for the rest

Doug's  D669Y

well that is certainly not a bad choice . they make good stuff . those flanges wont warp and i like the old school welded look . a lot of their stuff is made in mexico now but who cares . they are made on jigs.

Hey Dave can we have some pictures? Is it to a point that you can drive it yet?

Yes I can get you pictures of the headers on the car but that is about as far as I have got, trying to find an H pipe to fit the headers now .  Seems that Doug's only makes the X cross over haven't seen an H pipe on his site. I wonder if the JBA H pipe for there tri-y's will work on the D669Y.

My car is quite a ways from being drive-able yet.  Needs rear and front glass put in and all the interior.  Ordered the headliner the other day and got it yesterday (Sat) and was about to start the install and noticed one of the seams/loop for the bows was sewn on crooked  I mean measuring from one to the other the crooked one was off by 2 inches so will have to wait another few days for replacement.. then maybe I can get the glass in.

Dave