Sign in to follow this  
TinMan

Heat riser

I am able to twist and turn mine out without the manifold coming out. It should sit on the studs with a retaining nut and you shouldn't have to remove the exhaust manifold studs. If I remember correctly, it needs to go down and back towards the firewall then up.....it is a struggle which is why I think a lot of people ditched them.

No help here...So glad those days are behind me...The odds of the outer nut removing without the stud or tearing up the sheet metal  were never good if it didn't snap off all together..

If you are going to pull the heads or the motor what till then to deal with it......If not....Good luck...I'm rooting for you.(Go Team)

No help here...So glad those days are behind me...The odds of the outer nut removing without the stud or tearing up the sheet metal  were never good if it didn't snap off all together..

If you are going to pull the heads or the motor what till then to deal with it......If not....Good luck...I'm rooting for you.(Go Team)

Surprisingly enough the jam nuts backed right off... found that heating these with Mapp gas and then dousing with a 50/50 mixture of ATF and Acetone works wonders.. watch out for the fire though! :)

Thanks for the tips.. head does have to come off but I'll try the twisting and back towards firewall method!

Are you partial to the studs? If I were doing this, I'd back out the stud as far as possible, cut it off, then back out the rest. But that's me, and I enjoy destroying stuff.