Sign in to follow this  
cdanz87

Replacement Heater Motor

I'm in the process of rebuilding my heater box and need to replace the heater motor.  It looks like most, if not all of the replacement motors have a hole in the side of them.  Im just curious if anyone has used one of these and if so what did you use for a seal to plug the hole (from what I've found one isn't included).

https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/blower_motor_heater_replacement_style-196006-1.html

Thanks

Chris

Some cars with power ventilation option (and maybe A/C as well, I don't know) had a hose that took air from the squirrel cage to cool the motor. That's the what the hole is for. The one that came on my car from the factory doesn't have a hole (no A/C or P/V). I suspect it's a case of another one-size-fits-all reproduction that can be used for either application. West Coast Classic Cougars sell reconditioned motors if you want to see if they have a correct piece.

Here's a thread with some discussion about the hose; http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/592030-69-power-vent-heater-motor-cooling-hose.html

WCCC: http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/heater-box-/-components.html

Cooling hose:

69%20Mustang%20Heater%20Motor%20Cooling%

My original equipment motor w/out hose:

post-1146-0-97218600-1458173415.jpg

Hey Phil, is the black wire screwed to the firewall to the right of the heater motor the engine ground? Where does your heater motor ground attach?

Thanks, Bob.

Yeah, that's the engine ground strap on the firewall. The heater ground is attached to the inner fender. I think that is where it was originally but I could be wrong.

post-1146-0-15203900-1458256568.jpg

post-1146-0-70363500-1458256536.jpg

This is very interesting, as that hose function is tied to the 1969 versus 1970 ventilation system differences. This was discussed in another post about the triangular vent panels in the 1970 door area, and the 1969s don't have this.  The 1969 non A/C cars had this power ventilation option available, this was also available in some of the full sized cars.  This was abandoned in 1970 with the addition of the "flow through" ventilation scheme.  Somehow, on the 1969s, I guess there were motor overheating options in the power ventilation mode.   Crazy.   Great post/pics.  

This is very interesting, as that hose function is tied to the 1969 versus 1970 ventilation system differences. This was discussed in another post about the triangular vent panels in the 1970 door area, and the 1969s don't have this.  The 1969 non A/C cars had this power ventilation option available, this was also available in some of the full sized cars.  This was abandoned in 1970 with the addition of the "flow through" ventilation scheme.  Somehow, on the 1969s, I guess there were motor overheating options in the power ventilation mode.   Crazy.   Great post/pics.  

Yes, I didn't make the connection but it is related to the whole cockpit ventilation thing. I'm curious why Ford felt the PV motor needed extra cooling (and the higher cost to manufacture) for the silly option.

Maybe it was just an easy way to remove the stale air form the interior and let fresh air flow in -- maybe improvised during testing after they discovered the PV didn't work with the windows up...