For those of you interested in getting rid of the lanyard on the pins that scratches the paint on the hood, one of the options is a Quik Latch. However it isn't a bolt on installation. Their bigger latches are probably the ones you would like to use and they are too deep to just bolt on. They don't readily provide the information you need so I drew-up a picture and asked them for the vitals. It can't be imported here except in an attachment so see below. 

FYI "Dimension A" on my Mach is smallest on the drivers side and is 1.182".

Quik Latch.doc

The 2 cars I saw the latches on had the BIG ones and I noticed the bottom had been ground off of them so they can be made to work.... The grinding / cutting was done on the entire bottom of the portion that would screw into the hood

The 2 cars I saw the latches on had the BIG ones and I noticed the bottom had been ground off of them so they can be made to work.... The grinding / cutting was done on the entire bottom of the portion that would screw into the hood

Oh so you can do that and not interfere with the mechanism that grabs the ball? I would need to cut off at least 0.368".

Yeah you can... One of the guys who had them told us that he had picked the car up from the restoration shop a week prior to coming to CTC 2016 and that with the purchase of the car and ALL work it was over 100k, and looking at some of the stuff they did I can see where the money went because he had the best of EVERYTHING along with all custom interior, but they took an angle grinder to the Quick latches because I could see the abrasive marks on the bottoms of them and they were not ground down smooth LOL.... And I ended up fixing his Serpentine belt that was running off track for him because he had no tools LOL.... Some people... BAD ass car tho.

You could probably take 1/2 an inch off the damn things if you needed to because the round part that the ball goes up into is just a long sleeve and the holding mechanism is in the very top half.. If I remember they were about 1" deep or so.

MikeStang, after your post I contacted Quik-Latch again and here is their reply. As usual I can't get pictures to post here, and now even after many, many attempts and format changes I can't get a file to attach either. Its too bad since the pictures are worth a thousand words. They mounted two brackets off the front of the radiator support that extend to within a inch of the grill and are several inches down from the top of the radiator support. It is very odd looking.

From Quik-Latch:
After talking with the designer of the products who has personally installed a Quik-Latch hood pins on several 68-70 model Mustangs, he says trying to mount the Quik-Latch hood pin sets in the factory hood pin location will not work without recessing the pin mounting location, as there is not enough clearance at the factory mounting location. Grinding the threads at the bottom section that is mounted to the hood will not allow for the clearance needed to achieve proper fitment. 

I have attached some pictures of a 68 Mustang which has a QL-50-TW hood pin set installed, which has an alternative solution to the clearance issue. The pins are mounted on a bracket that is forward and lower from the factory location, so that additional clearance is available.

Does anyone know how to attach pictures to a post when using a Ubuntu operating system??
Even after choosing a file and clicking on Attach This File, it gives a message: Error No file was selected for upload

Its very frustrating.

I am trying to wrap my head around what would have to be done to use the latches based on your narrative but am having difficulty, 

My mach 1 is at the Restorer and we acquired a new hood (without the holes) that is going to have the holes put in it for the hood pins so I am sort of starting with a clean slate.

Is the issue with the "Quik Latches" related to the location of the stock hole in the radiator support or the location of the holes in the stock hood or something else? 

You are right, a picture is worth a thousand words!  LOL

BT

In the stock location there isn't enough room between the radiator support and the bottom of the hood for the latches, so they moved them forward on the hood and added brackets for the bolt/ball that are positioned down lower than the top of the radiator support by several inches. Maybe 6-8" forward and 2-3" down. The brackets look oddly out of place when the hood is open in my opinion.

I've sent a message to the site to see if I can get some pictures posted.

Yep, the photographs DEFINITELY clears up the issue in my mind.

I can now see what you mean now about there (possibly) not being enough room between the hood and the radiator support for the latches. I am thinking it might be possible to make some other type of modification to the radiator support to make them work...will have to lake a look at mine when I get over to the shop again.

GREAT posting!

BT

Yes, Mach 1 Driver, that probably would work out nicely.

How far along are you in the process of possibly using the Quik Latches?  I am still about a month or so out on my resto-mod as it relates to modifying my hood for the pins or latches.

If you "get there" before me, I would be interested in seeing what you finally decided to do. Please don't hesitate to share.

BT

How far along are you in the process of possibly using the Quik Latches? 

I'm sure you'll get there long before me. I'm gathering information for the nuisance items on the car and this has been one from practically the beginning. I'm sure we will all be interested in pictures of your resto-mod.

FYI my biggest nuisance item is fuel spilling when filling and I intend to fix that here shortly when I tackle an EFI install with new fuel system.

Good point on my updating my progress as it has been nearly four years.  LOL

I just provided an updated on the "Project Progress" forum...will try to provide more update postings from now on since I am nearing completion,

BT

All I know is that there was a bit of grinding done to those push latches that I saw on the one particular car..

The quick latches have a long threaded body and I don't see any reason some of that threaded area cannot be removed as most of the mechanism is up in the top half of the latch, but I am not an expert just relaying what I saw done on 1 car.

All I know is that there was a bit of grinding done to those push latches that I saw on the one particular car..

The quick latches have a long threaded body and I don't see any reason some of that threaded area cannot be removed as most of the mechanism is up in the top half of the latch, but I am not an expert just relaying what I saw done on 1 car.

Thanks Mike, at least we know that if there is a will there is a way to make them work.