Rsanter

9" rear end narrowing

Just though I would post some pictures of the latest 9" rear end I am narrowing.

This one is being made just a little narrower than the 65-6 mustang rear end by 3/4"

I had already cleaned the housing up and removed the old bracketry before I started taking pictures.

I checked the original housing as it was and like many of them I come across one side was out of alighnemt by just a little. Don't know of that was form accident, hard usage, or factory error.

I cut the tubes off and shortened them by the amount I wanted to narrow the rear end.

Then ground a bevel on the tubes and put the center up on the bench to install the fixture.

Got the tubes lined up and the perches

Bob

post-38343-0-78482700-1453419419.jpeg

post-38343-0-80505500-1453419441.jpeg

post-38343-0-21256200-1453419460.jpeg

post-38343-0-63201200-1453419474.jpeg

post-38343-0-69286800-1453419488.jpeg

post-38343-0-26506100-1453419504.jpeg

I machined my own jig as well .It is a 1 1/2 inch tool stock bar and 4 round steel blocks that replace the bearings in the ends of the tubes and the carrier bearings in the third member ,they are very snug slip fit . I have a clean gutted third member and the bar passes through all 4 blocks and aligns every thing . I use Curry axles . you would be surprised at how far out ford housings can be .

I machined my own jig as well .It is a 1 1/2 inch tool stock bar and 4 round steel blocks that replace the bearings in the ends of the tubes and the carrier bearings in the third member ,they are very snug slip fit . I have a clean gutted third member and the bar passes through all 4 blocks and aligns every thing . I use Curry axles . you would be surprised at how far out ford housings can be .

Tell me about it, it seems like most the housings are off just a little and some more than a little.

Next time you need some axles take a look at the ones I'm using. Much better price than the Currie and they have been working well for me

Bob

Yeah well I don't know how I would do around so many Tree Huggers, ;-p and what are the laws on shooting Stupid people there...

Down here in the south we call it the law of natural selection HaHa... I refuse to go to a state and spend any time there if they don't honor My Concealed Carry Permit Or Allow Open Carry "Which I never do" because of CC Permit :P

Just don't know how I would get along in Cali... But wouldn't mind a visit tho since I have never been there.

Maybe I will get all my ducks in a row and haul my trailer and my 66 Coupe down and can make a week trip out of it...Could take Car to Ridges first and have him help me with the FB Conversion, then swing by Bobs and narrow my 71 rear end to fit the 66 and rebuild the extra Posi I have for it :)

Ha...

Yeah well I don't know how I would do around so many Tree Huggers, ;-p and what are the laws on shooting Stupid people there...

Down here in the south we call it the law of natural selection HaHa... I refuse to go to a state and spend any time there if they don't honor My Concealed Carry Permit Or Allow Open Carry "Which I never do" because of CC Permit :P

Just don't know how I would get along in Cali... But wouldn't mind a visit tho since I have never been there.

I  have never hugged a tree ,I have cut down a few though . you dont have to worry about shooting the stupid people either ,they are doing a great job of doing it them self's . There is an out of state visitors fee though that must be paid before leaving the state