Sign in to follow this  
Black_69_FB

Fiero seats in Mach 1/comfortweave - anyone done it?

I have a chance to score a set of Fiero seats for $60 this weekend. I am aware of Mr. Mike but haven't seen any covers on his site that fill the bill for the Mach 1 style upholstery. I know TMI has worked with people on custom/one-off stuff in the past, I was just curious if anyone had already travelled this road, and if so, how they turned out?

He doesn't have any comfort weave last I checked and he said the reproduction stuff he has used that people sent him is utter crap.

He did offer up some GM style material that looks similar to comfort weave tho. I went with black dotted material like the vet seats he does

He doesn't have any comfort weave last I checked and he said the reproduction stuff he has used that people sent him is utter crap.

Thanks for the reply. I understand that the original style comfortweave isn't being produced anymore.

I actually have a set of TMI Sport upholstery & foam on original seats in the car right now. I really like the look and feel of the TMI set, it's just that I'd like something that sits a bit lower & reclines. But it'll have to match the back seat that I re-covered along with the fronts. It sounds like that is do-able, even though he doesn't like the current simulated comfortweave material. It will work for what I need though.

Thanks again for taking the time to help.

i dont understand your question, but any upholsterer can make seat covers.

I read his post as wanting to get the Fiero seats redone in the original looking comfort weave, and MrMikes seat covers has the wrong look to it.

Hey guys, sorry for any confusion.

To clarify...

I was asking if anyone had gone thru TMI to get the material they currently use in their Mach 1 upholstery, and had a set made for the Fiero seats.

The reason I asked specifically about MrMike is that he specializes in Fiero seats/covers, and I figure he pretty much has it down to a science by now.

I know the current material is not the same as the original comfortweave, and that's ok. I have already re-covered my seats -- both front & back -- in the modern, incorrect CW. So at least it will match.

I know the above can be done, I just wondered if anyone here had already done it, and how it turned out for them, as I haven't seen any pics online of Fiero seats done in the Mach 1 style to approximate this, which is what I currently have:

69_70-mach-1-sport.jpg

I like the look and feel of the TMI Sports, but I want the extra headroom and reclining feature the Fiero seats offer.

Call Mr. Mike and tell him what your after.

When I spoke to him about my seats he said he has had people in the past send him material they wanted used as well as Full seat covers they wanted torn down and reused, both of which he did.

Dude is super cool and will talk your ear off which is okay with me.

He said If I sent him some repo comfort weave he would gladly use it if I wanted him to.

Mr. Mikes works is fantastic and the stitching is nice and straight and very heavy duty with a lot of reinforcement.

His kits come with more than enough stuff to do the seat cover install... I actually probably have enough batting and hog rings and glue to do another set of seats LOL...

I ordered enough material from him to have my back seats done locally so that the material would be a perfect match as well.

Here are my seats after I finished them up.. I was very happy with them and after some time to set and using them there are no wrinkles in them and they are super comfortable.

Those seats you scored will accommodate 2ea 4" speakers per head rest so don't be afraid to pack them in there and trim the foam a little, and don't be a cheap ass and buy junk speakers either, at a minimum get some Higher end Pioneers or Polk units.

I opted for some Pioneer units myself and they sound amazing and I don't have to crank the radio up very loud to hear it over the loud ass exhaust.

You can order the little plastic cover pieces on the sides that cover the seat latches and the latch handle covers On-line from the fiero store for a few bucks also.

When you get ready to put the covers on don't be afraid to liberally apply batting to the side bolsters especially if you a smaller guy like me... this will help build them up and keep you firmly planted in the seat... I packed my driver seat up nice and full but I didn't do so much on the passenger seat because you never know how big the pass might be and I didn't want one of my 230lb line backer buddies getting in my car and sitting on the bolster area LOL

post-13203-0-60183200-1453301161.jpg

LOL Yeah I was gonna be a cheap ass on the speakers as well...I was looking for some 3.5" but no one had them locally so I bought the 4" units in the hopes they would work...with a little trimming and packing I got them in...You may need to trim the mounting tabs for better fit also... I figured if I went cheap on the speakers and one blew out I would have to remove the seat upholstery to replace it so I didn't wanna have to un do the work I had just done so I bought good speakers and used good heavy gage wire to them.

You welcome, always nice to get good info from folks that have done what your wanting to do...It makes the decisions easier

if that is a tmi seat and seat cover in your photo, i would send it back because it looks like a 3rd graded sewed the side that is wrinkled.

That's a pic off the internet of the original Mach 1 seats with the TMI Sport Seat foam & upholstery, which is what I have. I reupholstered mine myself, first time ever attempting it, and they turned out better than the pic. Darn near perfect after a little time in the sun, if I do say so myself.

I didn't even realize until today that TMI offered full ready-to-install seats:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/tmi-front-bucket-seat-sport-ii-pro-series-mach-1-high-back-black-with-red-stripe-pair-1969-1970/p/SEAT109BR1/

seat109br1_1.1810.jpg

Too salty for me, just linking in case someone else happening across this thread might find it helpful.