Sign in to follow this  
69volunteer

Fresh Air Vents

I am trying to track down where air would be coming from at the floor board area of the car while at speed. I converted my fresh air vents to speakers and have installed an aftermarket A/C system.

I have noticed it now that the windows are up.

My only thought is air through the actual speaker....but it is quite a lot of air.

Isn't there a fresh air vent in the cowl area? Any thoughts on the source of air?

Could be a hole in your firewall area.  Your cowl isn't open on the driver's side.  If you have the speaker in the fresh air vent then I don't see how you could have an air leak that large still in that area.  I'd track down the location of it a little further - left or right side - does it come in on the passenger side as well - etc, etc

david

Seems to come in both sides but it could be re-circulation. Hard to do while I am driving....

I'll check my firewall for any gaping holes I could have missed a plug or something. It seems to be coming from the fresh air vent though.....

Air can still come in the car through your A/C system.  There is a "floor" position on the original A/C - Heater controls.  I suspect that is what is happening with your new system.  

You could be missing the boot or boots/plugs that fill the holes that the clutch, brake, and gas pedal linkage goes through.  That can be breezy in the winter.

Possible. Hadnt had a chance to check it out.

side question about speakers in the air vents - do you put a backing or anything? I imagine theres a possibility of getting wet in there? 

about to put speakers there as i dont wanna drill into my doors. 

I didn't. I have only driven it once in the rain but its very possible. One thought would be to seal the backside of the speaker with some type of plastic. I fiberglassed my vent pods and could have spent some extra time making an enclosure instead....