Vicfreg

1970 Convertible Restoration

Just noticed that my first post on the this forum was 8 years ago....!  Wow, time moves fast.  Never could have gotten this far without the help of all the great people on this site.  Amazing group of people!

Vic

Ya I noticed that a couple of days ago. What a transformation you've accomplished on your Mustang. Looking at your first pics of the car I couldn't believe you were gonna tackle that job. But with Mike at wheel the chassis turned out fantastic. Glad you joined us Vic.

Just updating my thread here to include the A/C duct routing that I had posted in the tech forum.  The problem I faced is that I put my main wiring harness and relay package for my AAW wiring harness behind the steering column support brace.  I did not realize that the A/C duct ran through there on the way to the drivers side A/C register.  The AAW gauge package is pretty big and I was not convinced I could run the A/C flex duct through there and still fit the gauge package in.

So, I sourced a smaller diameter A/C duct, and used some shop vac adaptors to run the smaller diameter A/C duct in front of the column support bracket.  Looks like it will work, so will keep everyone posted on how this goes.  I plan to have my dash installed around the first of the year...

IMG_3221-1.jpg

IMG_2027.jpeg

IMG_2028.jpeg

IMG_2030.jpeg

IMG_2048.jpeg

IMG_2049.jpeg

IMG_3221-1.jpg

IMG_2050.jpeg

Oh, anticipating questions on the impact on the air delivery through the duct....

Since the diameter of the short length of flex duct behind the gauge package is smaller, the velocity through that section of duct will be higher.  However, since air is a gas, and is compressible, the Conservation of Mass Law applies.  What that means is the mass flow of air is constant through the air duct system.  So, possibly could generate more noise, but in my opinion, no impact.  

Well, the miracle finally happened, I got my dash installed.  
it actually wasn’t too bad, I had a few interferences with the duck Work and I had to move around and then it went right in.

Also put on my new steering wheel it’s not bolted down yet, but it’s been in a box for a few years that I wanted to see how it looked on the car

I found some brackets in my container that is full of miscellaneous brackets, and I thought these were the ones for the dash where it bolts to the body underneath the dash

I’ve tried to flip them and install them a few ways, the dimensions of them just don’t seem to fit very well with the way my car is built, so any suggestions would be appreciated on those

I also found this plastic piece that was brand new in my stash of stuff to install on the dash. It looks like it goes underneath the steering column and mats near the collar, but it does not seem to fit correctly. I suspect it to 1969 part?

IMG_2063.jpeg

IMG_2064.jpeg

IMG_2065.jpeg

IMG_2067.jpeg

IMG_2068.jpeg

IMG_2066.jpeg

Steering column trim piece is similar between 69 and 70, but the cut out is different as 69 column is smaller diameter. That trim piece should have 2 metal tabs at the opposite ends from the screw holes which are used to hold the trim piece in place.

Vic, IIRC the 2 metal "L" brackets go on the bottom of the dash at the "A" pillars to secure the ends of the dash to the body. The dash top is not on my Coupe yet if you need, I could take a few pics for you.

Oh wow, I’ve never seen those before. Mine didn’t come with clips, so I’ll have to improvise.

I also found the proper brackets, for the lower dash So no worries there appreciate the diagrams and answers

Edited by Vicfreg
Incorrect and inappropriate text due to voice recognition

I may have to look at my coffee, can full of brackets to find those clips, but I doubt I’ll find them, I’ll probably use some kind of adhesive tape or foam to attach them

Edited by Vicfreg
Incorrect post

On 12/17/2023 at 2:45 PM, Vicfreg said:

Well, the miracle finally happened, I got my dash installed.  

Once you've done it over ten times it's easy peasy. At least you don't have the center dash vent duct to align. I found if I mark the windshield with tape or Sharpie I can get the three back edge screw started easier.

Making progress.... Doing final wiring/wirewrap/routing cleanup under the dash.  Powered everything up, and it all seems to work.  Will install my audio head unit next.  Then, last item before the dash pad install is to make some adaptors so I can do a quick connect of my center dash A/C registers when I install the dash pad.  I plan to make some flex tube pieces and use a shop vac adaptor to create an easy way to connect the Vintage Air center duct register to my flex ducts.  I I will need to sneak those ducts past my in dash speakers.   More to come on that....

IMG_2076.jpeg

IMG_2077.jpeg

IMG_2078.jpeg

IMG_2080.jpeg

Got my dash pad installed.  Debating whether to take it off to install the instrument cluster and clock panel.  I really don't want to do that because I have my A/C ducts hooked up, and there is no easy way to reinstall them with the dash panels in.

Any suggestions on the sequence to install the instrument panel and clock panel would be appreciated.

I am thinking about dropping the steering column to get in the instrument panel....

Happy Holidays!!

IMG_2089.jpeg

IMG_2088.jpeg

IMG_2087.jpeg

Thanks, I installed the dash into the car, and it seems to be a lot easier, I’ll just have to fuss with the air-conditioning duct work a little bit, but it should work

IMG_2126.jpeg

IMG_2128.jpeg

I powered up my instrument panel by hooking the Cat5 ethernet cable  to the back of the VHX gauge package

I also installed the VHS LED dimmer, it works really nicely..  

My dash panels are painted body color, and the gauge package is a similar color with the blue backlighting, I think it’s gonna look cool

IMG_2123.jpeg

IMG_2122.jpeg

Also installed a buck boost controller, which is essentially a constant voltage DC step down transformer, that provides the proper 5.2 V to the USB plugs that I installed into my cigarette lighter location on my dash.

IMG_2135.jpeg

Working on my keyless entry system, and my power window controls

My keyless entry module is going to be mounted behind the clock dash.  It also has a negative aux output, so I have a reversing relay that’s going to be mounted in the same area, that’s going to interface with my electric power trunk release.

The power window switch module is located in the front of my console box, and the wiring will be going underneath the console into the dash, I’m working on arranging that.

All of this needs to be done before I can close the dash up and put the dash pad on

IMG_2155.jpeg

IMG_2156.jpeg