prayers1

Tell us about your Self-Tuning EFI experience

I'd like to get a Self-Tuning EFI system for my 351C.  There are a few out there, but reading reviews they say their all about the same.

There is one company (FiTech Fuel Injection) selling a unit (Go EFI 4 600hp) for around $1000, much less then the other big name ones. That's at least $1000 or more less then others and looks like you get a big bang for less bucks!

I'd like to get some first hand experience from you guys as well as how you went about installing your fuel supply,  Did you use an Aeromotive intank type pump or something else.

Thanks!

X3  I too want to do an efi set up. 351W  engine is build waiting for intake when I figure out which way to go. I want multi port injection. and maybe a later model mass air set up from a mustang and this intake and plenum http://www.ebay.com/itm/370920606686?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT .   I don't think it will go under the hood tho.  I have all the injection from the engine that came from a bronco but I know it is too high for hood clearance.  I'm looking forward to this thread to find out what others are using.

Thanks for starting it prayers1

Dave

I have the FI Tech Go EFI 8 system on my Mustang.  Very, very pleased with it.  System does everything they say it does and does it well.  Improved my fuel mileage, improved my driveability and the engine is way more responsive than the carb was.  Handles my big cam well too.  I used the Aeromotive Phantom Stealth in a 70 22 gal tank and ran dual #8 PTFE lines for the feed and return. 

There is a good thread over on VMF on the FI Tech systems.  

The FI Tech system also has the regulator built into the throttle body so that saves another hundred bucks or so over the other systems too.

I'm pushing, maybe 400 hp so the 4 injectors would be ( I believe) best for me.

I have a couple of important questions.

1, I'd like the EFI system to control timing. Does the FiTech have that capabilitiy. I have the Mallory Unilite Dist, should I get a MSD Bullet (8577) with a control box 6A.

2, As for the fuel tank, it seems that the fuel pump in tank version requires a return and a vent.  Since the only spot to install those openings is on the top side of the gas tank, this means everytime you pop open the trunk you'll see the hoses and it makes less cargo room.

Where are you putting the access holes in the trunk to route those line????????

I'm pushing, maybe 400 hp so the 4 injectors would be ( I believe) best for me.

I have a couple of important questions.

1, I'd like the EFI system to control timing. Does the FiTech have that capabilitiy. I have the Mallory Unilite Dist, should I get a MSD Bullet (8577) with a control box 6A.

2, As for the fuel tank, it seems that the fuel pump in tank version requires a return and a vent.  Since the only spot to install those openings is on the top side of the gas tank, this means everytime you pop open the trunk you'll see the hoses and it makes less cargo room.

Where are you putting the access holes in the trunk to route those line????????

4 injector system will work fine for you.  The FITech does control the timing, you just need a two wire distributor of any type.  I already had a MSD all in one, so I didn't use that function.  You do not need a CD box either, the FITech works fine without it, however you can use one if you wish, the system is very flexible.

Yes the fuel lines are on the top in the trunk.  I used bulkheads and ran them through the trunkfloor right next to the passenger side wheelwell.  If I were going to use the trunk to haul anything, I would just make a cover plate over the tank to shield them and make the trunk usable. 

I would post some pictures, but apparently I am too stupid to figure it out and lack the patience to try.

yeah you just need to put a few small pieces of angle iron in the trunk area to support some plywood or other thin material and cover it and voila ///hidden lines haha.

Does the FI Tech have a TPS built in to it? I need TPS for the 4R70w Trans controller to

IMO, routing the return and vent lines is going to be one of my biggest concerns. 

I show my car and the judges like clean spaces. 

If anyone has a picture showing the the entry way into the trunk that would be great!  As for the vent line, I assume your not venting into the trunk, how are you venting and are you using a filter at the end of the tube to prevent anything from getting in.

I'm just touching the surface regarding self-tuning efi's, I like the ideal of a digital screen to read ouptput as well as having an O2 sensor.  My biggest problem right now is adjusting the 735 Quick Fuel 4 idel screws and fuel pressure dropping at high rpms.

The FiTech is looking better and who knows some of the big names might have a Holiday sale, so it looks like I need to make my decision fast. I thnk CJ Pony has a good year end discount and they sell a few EFI systems.

If you have pictures, please post them.

Thanks Guys!

Prayers If your Pressure is dropping off at higher RPM's what pump are you using?

MAy want to up the pressure a tad and try it again.

4 Corner idle is great some of the time and some of the time it sucks eggs LOL but its not too hard to adjust

MikeStang- I have the RobbMc 550 hp Cleveland mech pump. I've already replaced the entire fuel system from car to tank. The only thing possible could be a worn out or *%#@  up eccentric washer that the fuel pump arm rides on. I've been contemplating an electric fuel pump since spring, getting an EFI system will help to get there.

Rsanter- Yes, that is a great ideal.

I don't know . . . I've always run 4-corner idle on my Holley's and there not too difficult to adjust.  Just set a starting point, usually 1 or 1.5 turns off seat, then make small increments equally on each idle A/F screw until you obtain the best idle.  Sometimes I will back them out a little after obtaining best idle to be certain it is not too lean at idle.  Once in a while they will not be adjusted equally for best idle, but not often.

I kind of like 4-corner idle adjustments.  Sometimes the fixed secondary idle circuits on 2-corner idle carbs are not quite right for the application.  I have found if they seem impossible to adjust something else is "out of whack" in the carburetor.  I.E.  Incorrect idle fuel or air bleed restrictors, throttle plates opened too far.  Just my 2 cents on adjusting a 4-corner idle carb.

I think you have mentioned the fuel pump eccentric might be the cause of the low fuel pressure.  Have you thought of replacing the fuel pump eccentric before investing in a fuel injection setup?  It's at least much less expensive, just some of your time for labor.  And probably less difficult then converting to fuel injection.

Yeah the 4 Corner Idle systems seem to provide the best control over all but some folks cant seem to always get them nailed down.

You are correct in that if you cant get it to act right for whatever reason that something else is generally out of whack. When I have this happen I generally just rebuild the carb and it solves the problems LOL.

Prayers, why don't you just pop the timing cover off and check / replace the eccentric then see what happens?

My best friend runs a mechanical STOCK pump on his 408 and it put 410 hp to the wheels and never went lean during the pulls with the stock pump LOL so it goes to show you that the stock units can keep up with at least 450 plus hp.

Or you could always buy / borrow a cheap electric pump pump and wire it up and give it a try.

I am running an Edelbrock Quiet flow electric pump with no regulator or return line and it works like a champ at the stock 6.5 PSI setting.

I have actually considered going back to a mechanical pump just to eliminate the slight hum of the electric pump, but I think I will be going with an in the tank Pump from Tanks Inc because I like the benefits of an Electric pump and the fact that I dont have a mech pump hanging off the side of the already cluttered engine in that area with te serp system, power steering pump and oil pressure feed tube etc....

Have you installed a gauge that you could see while going down the road to check the pressure?

Rsanter I would be interested in a Group buy like we did for the Bauman's Controller years ago.... Saved all of us like 50 bucks or so

Thanks for the advise guys. At this point I still have this facination of getting EFI. I always wanted the use of an O2 sensor besides just 1 wide band gauge.

I appreciate the kind responses, but I want to keep this Topic focused on Self Tuning EFI experiences.

I gonna start a new Topic on a group purchase of the FiTech EFI, If I get enough interest, I'll present to it to FiTech or if there is someone on this membership that has ties to FiTech, maybe they can suggest the question.

Keep your fingers crossed!

One quick question about the Fitech system. I'll be running an AOD auto- is the TV cable corrector bracket still needed or is there a mount point for a ball stud on the throttle lever with the correct ratio?? 

Thanks Shaun