LiLMike

Found a New Motor

for the TPS just buy the Holley kit.

Its simple and effective and wont coast a boat load and its easy to install.

I thought he Bauman controller came with a TPS?

1. you can't run a standard performer intake.

2. i have given several new edelbrock carbs away . . i use holley or qf.

Why can't I run a standard Performer intake?

I agree with barnett468, I would not use an Edelbrock Performer intake.  If your budget can swing it, buy an Edelbrock Performer RPM or a Weiand Stealth. Many like the Performer RPM.  I have used both.  And on a street driver the Stealth seemed better.  At least for my driving style.  I don't drive with a very heavy foot.  To be fair, the performer RPM has slightly larger runners so it probably makes more top end power than the Stealth.  That aside, for some reason even though the Stealth and the Performer RPM have very similar carb pad heights, the Stealth provides much more hood clearance for the air cleaner.

If you're spending money to purchase a new carb, I would also go with a Holley or QFT.  Edelbrock carbs are not bad, they use to be Carter.  They are good for a daily driver where you want to adjust it once and not touch it until the next tune up.  But I've always thought an Edelbrock carb will leave some horsepower on the table.  A long time ago I switched out a Holley 750 that was giving me troubles for a Carter 750 on my daily driver.  There was a noticeable loss in power.  Looking back, with what I know now, I should have replaced the front metering block on the Holley.  

I thought he Bauman controller came with a TPS?

Why can't I run a standard Performer intake?

Because if your engine has 440 hp, it will have 240 with a performer intake . . if you want less horsepower, you should change the cam also, but if your static compression is fairly high, it may ping/detonateif you do that.

Here's a simple experiment you can do to illustrate this point . . Go run around the block as many times as you can . . The next day, put a clothes pin on your nose and a straw in your mouth and breath thru that then "try" to run around the block at the same speed and tell us what happened....after you regain consciousness.

Also, unless you know how to tune an Edebrock carb, and it WILL need tuning, you might find it a little, or a lot, difficult.

I have always heard that an Edelbrock carb is easy to tune for the street. As for the intakes, I was watching the videos on the Edelbrock website and the Performer will function just right for my car. I'm not racing it, just want the stop light to stop light times to be quick! The motor has a 10:1 compression ratio. Thought about going with a bigger cam, perhaps a thumper.

Keep in mind those eddy videos are ment to do one thing, sell product... The performer is basically a stock replacement, the RPM or the stealth would be a much better choice. Stay away from the thumper cam, they will give you poor stoplight to stoplight performance. Do you have power brakes? If yes you need to to be careful when choosing a cam as too big a cam won't produce enough vacuum for your brakes to work properly.

Edit, if would also go with a Holley or QF carb.

Avoid the Thumper Cams.

an off the shelf XE274HR or 274H will make enough Vac for power brakes.

I would dump the performer in favor of a Performer RPM or Air Gap.... 

The Edelbrock carbs that I have owned right out of the box were good carburetors for sure and needed very little tuning... And it sounds like your just wanting to be quick and reliable and not have to mess with it much...If I were going with an Edelbrock I Would opt for the 750.

I may have a Like new 870 Holley vac sec Electric choke carb for sale very soon if the EFI group buy goes through tho.

Sounds like I should rethink the intake manifold. I'll do some more research. As for the cam, why the bad reviews on the thumper?  I'm not worried about the vacuum since I decided to go aggressive on the cam and go with the Hydrotech brake booster. That is the one running off of hydraulics from the power steering pump rather than vacuum. Yes, I have power rakes. This is why I posted the subject about power steering pump upgrades. Thanks for the heads up RSMach1. And yes Mike,  don't want to do a lot of tuning...I want to be like that Ronco baker oven thingy...Set it and forget it!

I have always heard that an Edelbrock carb is easy to tune for the street. As for the intakes, I was watching the videos on the Edelbrock website and the Performer will function just right for my car. I'm not racing it, just want the stop light to stop light times to be quick! The motor has a 10:1 compression ratio. Thought about going with a bigger cam, perhaps a thumper.

ok, fine then, believe what you heard and buy the eddy.

you are not racing the engine and it has 440 hp and you want to install a bigger cam without even driving it first and not knowing exactly what parts are in it and you wanted to use an eddy performer intake?

I have driven the box truck that this motor is in. He had it built and put in this truck for his old concrete business. It had a 680 cfm QFT carb on it. He wanted better gas mileage so he put a 2 barrel carb on it. Not sure of the cam specs but it is the biggest cam they could put in there and still get the power brakes to work properly. It has 10:1 compression ratio and dynoded (with the QFT) at 440 hp with 440 ft lbs of torque. I drove the box truck and it halls ass even with pulling about 5500 to 6000 of weight. He still has it loaded with tools and equipment from his concrete business. You can tell that it is starving for more fuel because of the 2 barrel. It is an 85 351w stroked out to a 393 with dart heads on it. It is a full roller cam and roller rocker arms and timing chain. I have on my 351w a new hi flow water pump and a 120v alternator, which I will be installing on this motor. I thought I could go with a more aggressive cam while I am doing the engine swap. I have the performer intake on mine but not sure what intake is on his. You can make out performer and 351 on it but the rest is difficult to read because it is in this box truck/van type vehicle. This is why I am asking these questions, kind of like picking everybody’s brain on what would work best for my mustang. I want it quick from stop light to stop light, have a nice lope to it and smoke the tires when I decide to show off. Just reading all about different intakes, carbs and such is mind boggling. Lots of variables and opinions out there. I know you guys have many different views and I respect all of them. Just want to gather the information that you guys have learned over the years and have more experience than I do.

ok, fine then, believe what you heard and buy the eddy.

you are not racing the engine and it has 440 hp and you want to install a bigger cam without even driving it first and not knowing exactly what parts are in it and you wanted to use an eddy performer intake?

Mike I would just pop the intake off and Swap to an RPM or Vic Jr, and Drop either a Holley or Eddy carb on it and let it ride... Sounds like its got plenty cam in it if it made 440hp... I would just do an intake and carb swap and try it out.

They may have put a Custom Hyd roller in it to match the head flow numbers... That's what I did when I built my motor.

I had comp spec me a cam to match my heads and produce the best idle... My 408 doesn't sound like its got much cam in it at all really but the Dyno sheets show what it makes :)

ok everyone wants to help you but you need to give us more info do do that . . also you are listening to too many people in other forums it seems . . i can assure you that the opinions of people here will be very similar once enough info is supplied . . i and some others here are also engine builders.

i and others have already suggedted to use a holley or qf carb but you read or heard somewhere else that an eddy is better or easier to tune or work on or whatever which is just friggen wrong . . the eddy carb is not a bad carb but it is NOT easy to tune if you do not know how to tune it . . it is also not the choice of any performance engine builder that i know.

you want a lite ti lite drag car with lots of bottom end but you want a bigger cam and are going to run 3.25 gears so it won't rev too high on the freeway . . i'm sorry but that simply ain't never, ever, gonna happen.

a bigger cam will give you less bottom end so you have to make up your mind as to exactly what you want . . also a bigger cam will likely lower your compression . . we cant tell you what a bigger cam would be anyway because we have no idea what cam you have.

you need to do a compression test and then yank that cam out and give us the numbers on the back so we can try to detrermine what it is.

the 2v performer intake is crappier than the 4v performer so we dont need any info on it . . the intakes mikestang suggested are fine and so is a torker, but if you want botom end the air gap or rpm are better and i seriously doubt that anyone else here will tell you any different but i know for a fact that if you look at enough stuff online, you will see one or two guys that have absolutely no idea what they are talking about say that a vic junior has more bottom end than an air gap or rpm.

you have at leadt two choices for your fmx trans . . use it unil it blows up because it will or rebuild it properly now . . the info you got that all that can be done to them to make them better is to put a shift kit in it is absolutely wrong and laughable . . put a wide band on the forward drum, use red alto friction discs and bands, use kolene steel plates, set the clutches up on the tight side, install a trans go shift kit and so on . . if you want a firm shift into third, just send the valve body to broader performance along with $250.00

I don't know . . . this engine deal sounds sketchy.  Maybe I'm too skeptical.  But I think I would pass on it unless it is almost free.  If it's truly what the seller claims then I agree with those saying NO on the Edelbrock Performer intake.  Also, NO on the Edelbrock carb if you are trying to get the most HP you can from that motor.  Also, cams that produce the rough idle quality you are after are designed for high RPM power.  Thus, you will loose some bottom end and driveability.  Also, you will need a lower rear axle gear ratio than 3.25 or the car will be lazy and sluggish at lower speeds.  I think some research should be done.  It sounds like you are asking for an engine combination that won't produce the driving characteristics you are after.

Okay I Re-read his OP just now.

Barnett I did suggest the RPM OR The Victor Jr intake LOL... The Vic Jr. is more of a top end type of intake as I understand it, and works pretty well on 393 -427 Strokers, really depends on what you want I suppose.

I think he is wanting something quick but easy to maintain and reliable that's why I suggested a Vac Secondary Holley OR An Edelbrock Carb... No the Eddy carb wont perform like a Holley, but right out of the box it will be dead nuts reliable from my exp and probably close enough with the stock parts that he wouldn't really see much of a difference from the seat of the pants... If its way rich or way lean he can just get a strip kit for it and tweak on it some, provided that the holes are all drilled out as they should be in the carb casting and there is nothing wrong with the carb lol.

Just for quick comparison here... my best friends 69 Mach 1 had a 393 Stroker with Cast Iron 351w Heads, minor bowl work and valve job, XE274H cam, RPM intake, Hooker Super Comp Headers and an Eddy Carb backed by a TKO 5spd and 3.55 gears would run 12.60s all day long...This is by no means Blazing fast but it is very respectable for an Iron headed 393 and a pretty mild cam.............. Now given that this motor that Mike is looking at has Aluminum heads its probably making a bit more power but we still don't know much more about it... That's why I suggested a simple Intake and carb swap and go try it out.

I don't run an Eddy carb simply because what I have at the time is a Holley and it works pretty damn good.... But I really don't think he is trying to squeeze every last HP out of this motor, altho I could be wrong and if that's the case then go balls out and get a Holley or QFT carb

Honestly if it were me I would pop the oil pan off b4 it went in the car and see if you could ID the rods and crank etc.. just to be sure it is indeed a stroker to begin with and see if there are any nasties hiding in the pan LOL.

Then I would put an RPM or Air Gap on it with a Borrowed carb and see what it would do LOL..

Okay I Re-read his OP just now.

Barnett I did suggest the RPM OR The Victor Jr intake LOL... The Vic Jr. is more of a top end type of intake as I understand it, and works pretty well on 393 -427 Strokers, really depends on what you want I suppose.

Yes, I saw that and mentioned you said that and agreed with it . . I just mentioned the Torker as an additional option.

The motor is exactly as I described. The guy that owns it has my car now in his shop. He got out of the concrete business and opened up his car shop about  yeas ago. He has done car work t his house for about 5 years before that. I talked to the guy who ilt the motor. He owns Champion Engine builders here in Indiana.

I will be putting in a 4r70w tranny with 3:73 gears. I'm actually looking for an aggressive idle and quick throttle response.

The motor is exactly as I described. The guy that owns it has my car now in his shop. He got out of the concrete business and opened up his car shop about  yeas ago. He has done car work t his house for about 5 years before that. I talked to the guy who ilt the motor. He owns Champion Engine builders here in Indiana.

I will be putting in a 4r70w tranny with 3:73 gears. I'm actually looking for an aggressive idle and quick throttle response.

ok, thats cool but there is no way we can definitely suggest a cam that is "bigger" than the one that is in there unless we know which one is in there.

again, the bigger the cam, the less compression it may have, therefore, if you want a big cam and it crrently has a small cam, you can plan to remove the cylinder heads . . if you give us the compression test info i asked for we can better help you,.

Also, the bigger the cam, the worse yorur throttle respomse will be.

if you want less bottom end than you do now and average low end throttle response and less compression but a nasty idle with more peak rpm, the cam below will give you all those providing it has high flow heads.

these all need link bar lifters and specs are for 1.6 rockers

https://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1671&gid=289

292 300 . . 241 249 . . 600 600 . . lsa 112 . . icl 108 . . rpm around 6600

howards p/n 220525-10 . . imo, this is probably your best bet and a 2400 rpm stall converter

280 286 . . 227 233 . . 597 597 . . lsa 110 . . icl 106 . . rpm around 6200

howards p/n 222735-10

288 294 . . 235 241 . . 581 581 . . lsa 110 . . icl 106 . . rpm around 6500

Totally agree with Barnett468, the bigger and more aggressive idle cam you go with, the more it will hurt the off idle, throttle response, stoplight to stoplight performance you're asking for. When looking at cams pay attention to their operating range, more so when the powerband starts, that's what's going to get you off the line when the light turns green.

It has dart heads is all I know. Not sure of which ones. He is checking with the engine builder on that Howards cam you suggested. Can't get a compression test due to the fact that the motor sits in this van style box truck. No room to get to the plugs with a tester. I'll see if I can find out which dart heads are used.

It has dart heads is all I know. Not sure of which ones. He is checking with the engine builder on that Howards cam you suggested. Can't get a compression test due to the fact that the motor sits in this van style box truck. No room to get to the plugs with a tester. I'll see if I can find out which dart heads are used.

if you can change the plugs in the van you can get a compression tester in the plug hole

the dart heads are probably cast iron and a mild but decent upgrade.