Sign in to follow this  
Brian Conway

Spring Rate ?

There was a discussion recently  about which shocks to use and who's using what.  Got around to the Bilsteins and after a little checking the Bilstein spec's say the RO54 front STREET shocks are suggested for cars with a 600 lb. spring rate.  The RO83 front SPORT shocks are 500-700 lb. spring rate.  The rear shocks are the same for all applications RO56.  My 69 leafs are C9ZA-5556-G and, I think, 690 lb. spring rate and no ID on the stock front springs.  I guess either Bilstein will do ?  Brian

Thanks for the reference and I did send Mike an email.  Asking Street or Sport ?  I run the same shocks, KYB's, on my 65 GT 4 speed that I run on the 69, 4 speed CJ.   The KYB's have been on the 65 for 12 years and 17,500 miles.  They have slowly been getting soft and the left front is making noises at dips in the road.  Thought they would last longer.  Brian 

Thanks for the reference and I did send Mike an email.  Asking Street or Sport ?  I run the same shocks, KYB's, on my 65 GT 4 speed that I run on the 69, 4 speed CJ.   The KYB's have been on the 65 for 12 years and 17,500 miles.  They have slowly been getting soft and the left front is making noises at dips in the road.  Thought they would last longer.  Brian 

heck, dont email him just call him up.

if the noise is in the left front is a squeekng sound, it is most likely a dry ball joint or the upper inner a arm bushings . . you can remove the shock and carefully test drive it.

He's out trick or treating.  Not a squeak more like a grunt.  Have lubed everything upper and lower ball joints as well as the upper control arm bushings both sides.  Pretty close inspection and tried to wiggle the wheel.  Everything seems pretty solid.  Took the shock caps off and one side max effort to push down.  The other side not so much.  Open to suggestions, don't need to spend the money, but right now I 'am thinking shocks.  Brian

He's out trick or treating.  Not a squeak more like a grunt.  Have lubed everything upper and lower ball joints as well as the upper control arm bushings both sides.  Pretty close inspection and tried to wiggle the wheel.  Everything seems pretty solid.  Took the shock caps off and one side max effort to push down.  The other side not so much.  Open to suggestions, don't need to spend the money, but right now I 'am thinking shocks.  Brian

well i would take my suggestion of testing without the shock to see if that is the noise . . obviously one of your shocks sucks but that does not mean it is the cause of the problem.

if a ball joint or the inner upp arm bushings are wasted. grease will not always make them quiet.

if you undo the top of the shock then grab the wheel lip then lift up and down trying to bounce the front end it might make noise.

if you hear the noise on one side as you drive, you can switch the shocks from one side to the other . . if the noise switches sides, the shck is at least part of the prob.

look at the rubber bushings inside the lower spring perch, if they look wasted, the perch will make noise.

I would unbolt the upper shock mount like barnett468 mentions.  The only noise I ever heard from a worn or bad shock is a knocking or clunking noise.  Also, a stethoscope works great to find noises.  It's the first tool I go to when trying to find the source of a noise that is not so obvious.  Somebody can bounce the car up and down while you use a stethoscope to isolate the source of the noise. 

If not the upper control arm bushings, maybe the rubber lower control arm bushings or the rubber bushings in the spring perches.  Also, make certain the upper spring isolators are in good condition.

Started to do some of the stuff suggested this AM and stopped because I have a question.  With the wheel/tire off I can see the shock tower bump seems to be bottoming out on the lower ball joint ?  Posting a couple pictures and asking for opinions about that.   The other side is not doing this.  The tires are  205-70-14.  As I posted earlier this is on a 65 car and not a 69.   I also noticed my 69 has no bumps in this location.  You guys have the bumps on you cars ?  Thanks,  Brian

post-33155-0-36159500-1446489452.jpg

post-33155-0-80892600-1446489464.jpg

post-33155-0-39090200-1446489473.jpg

post-33155-0-55339100-1446489493.jpg

The 69 has bump stops in the same location.  From your picture the bump stop is broke off on the 69.  What remains is the metal base of the bump stop and the mounting bolt.  Hopefully the car wasn't lowered so much somebody removed the bump stops on the 69.