Sign in to follow this  
det0326

1969 Oil pan and Gasket

I have a 1991 351w that came out of a bronco that has been built to go into my 1969 mach1. It has the 1 piece rear oil seal. I of course have to use the stock style 1969 oil pan because it needs to be front sump and also made for a 351w with 2 piece rear oil seal. My question is will the stock style 1969 oil pan work on the 1991 block with the 1 piece oil seal?
Also is all the 351w 1 piece oil pan gasket all the same from 69 to 96 or so, because looking at summit the years are all over the place. One listing my say 69 to 86 another says 69 to 82 another says 69 to 97. Confusing. 
Thanks for any help

Dave

One piece oil pan gaskets:  There are two different types and they depend on if the oil pan has smooth pan rails or ribbed pan rails.  The 1969 oil pan has ribbed pan rails and the 1991 oil pan has smooth pan rails.  I've heard but haven't seen, that there are also oil pan differences in the four corners where the pan rails meet the end seals.  I use a Fel Pro one piece oil pan gasket on my 1969 with no issues.  So I believe the 1969 oil pan fits on the 1991 block but you would need a pan gasket for a 1969 oil pan.  Fel Pro makes a one piece gasket for it in their Perma Dry series.  You still need to use some silicone on the end seal areas just like the multi piece gaskets. 

As far as I know, the difference in years are due to 2 things. 1) dipstick tube location 2) smooth or ribbed oil pan rails. As long as you're using the front cover dipstick I'd use the early style gasket (69-87) with your stock ribbed rail pan.

thanks guys for the replies

Rsanter    did u end up using the 4 piece

1969_Mach1  do u remember the p/n for that 1 piece because as I stated the sumitt listings as for as years they fit are all over the place.

Rsmach1   when u say earlier one are you referring to the 4 piece.

Thanks Dave

No, 1 piece felpro for 69-87 http://m.summitracing.com/parts/fel-os30214t

Edit, Rsanter when you said you used it with your old oil pan I'm guessing you using a late model block. Did you use the early pan gasket (69-87) or one of the later ones? If later it could have been designed for the smooth rail pan, using that on an early ribbed rail pan will result in it leaking.

No, 1 piece felpro for 69-87 http://m.summitracing.com/parts/fel-os30214t

Edit, Rsanter when you said you used it with your old oil pan I'm guessing you using a late model block. Did you use the early pan gasket (69-87) or one of the later ones? If later it could have been designed for the smooth rail pan, using that on an early ribbed rail pan will result in it leaking.

So to be clear the gasket u posted is smooth and not ribbed is that correct.  I my try to find this locally and want to be sure I am getting the right one.

Thanks for your help 

Dave

The gasket I use on my 1969 oil pan is the one Rsmach1 has in his post.  It is for oil pans with ribs in the pan rails which is what a 69 oil pan has.  It works fine but I still needed some RTV on the end seals and in the corners where the end seals meet the rails like on a multi piece gasket.  It's a nice gasket.  It has crush limiters so you simply tighten the bolts and forget it.

The gasket I use on my 1969 oil pan is the one Rsmach1 has in his post.  It is for oil pans with ribs in the pan rails which is what a 69 oil pan has.  It works fine but I still needed some RTV on the end seals and in the corners where the end seals meet the rails like on a multi piece gasket.  It's a nice gasket.  It has crush limiters so you simply tighten the bolts and forget it.

Thanks 1969 Mach1 .  Is the gasket it self ribbed or smooth? also I'm posting a pic of the rails that came from the 1991 oil pan i'm assuming that I don't need these and can leave them off of the 69 pan.

post-16490-0-95241000-1446056439.jpg

When we say ribbed we are referring to the pan, the pan in your pick is ribbed, the gasket I posted will work with that pan in your pic. No you don't need the rails, just be sure not to overtighten the pan bolts and distort the pan.

Edit if you look at the pan, between the bolt holes, those indentations are what we referred to as ribbed.

When we say ribbed we are referring to the pan, the pan in your pick is ribbed, the gasket I posted will work with that pan in your pic. No you don't need the rails, just be sure not to overtighten the pan bolts and distort the pan.

Edit if you look at the pan, between the bolt holes, those indentations are what we referred to as ribbed.

I didn't know about the ribs in the gasket but some of the listing for the 1 piece i have seen looks like they have ribs as well didn't know if they were there to mate to pan or what. But this answers my question so now I am ready to install tomorrow. I couldn't find one locally so they ordered it and suppose to be here in the morning.  Thanks again for all the help

Dave

I used a ford one piece gasket with an early block and early ribbed oil pan.

It leaked and pissed me off.

I was short on time and so I had no choice but to silicone goop it up. It only leaks a little now but still pisses me off.

I'm not really driving the car and the engine is coming back out this summer so I will change to the felpro one....thanks for the tip.

I would have never guessed it was different enough to make a difference. But then I had never used a one piece gasket before so live and learn

Bob

The Ford gasket might be for the late model pans oil pans only.  About 10 years ago Ford Racing offered a one piece gasket for the older oil pans that have ribs on the pan rails.  I tried one once because it was less expensive than the Fel Pro gasket.  The Fel Pro gasket is a much better oil pan gasket in my opinion.

The Ford gasket might be for the late model pans oil pans only.  About 10 years ago Ford Racing offered a one piece gasket for the older oil pans that have ribs on the pan rails.  I tried one once because it was less expensive than the Fel Pro gasket.  The Fel Pro gasket is a much better oil pan gasket in my opinion.

You are likly right and I was assuming that the late model one would work as I saw something in the Motorsport catalog.

I will get the felpro one as I will be swapping the pan out when I pull the engine again this summer.

I need to decide if I want to fab a copy of the aviad oil pan or just buy the aluminum cobra pan

Bob