Sign in to follow this  
7TCatvert

PVC valve and running rough...and stopping

I am having new resto bugs. The one is the car is running for a short time 300yrds about 5 minutes the car runs great then starts to stumble and stop running and won't start or will start and die right away. Changed out the distributor, points, coil and the car is getting gas. I do need a better ground strap but was thinking I just put a generic pvc valve on and I do have a closed oil cap.

Could this be a problem are pvc valves all differ not as far as the pressure to open or close?

As far as I know there are not many different PCV valves.  They are dependent on the engine size, basically small blocks or big blocks.  I'm sure other members will have more info on that.  As long as your PCV valve is listed for your motor it should be fine.  However, at lower engine speeds as the engine evacuates the crankcase through the PCV there also needs to be a crankcase vent somewhere for fresh air to enter the crankcase.  This is usually a vented oil filler cap on classic Mustangs.  At higher engine speeds any excessive crankcase pressure is vented through both the PCV and the crankcase vent.

You need to replace the ground strap to eliminate that as a possible problem.  Then when the engine shuts off and won't restart check it for spark as well as fuel.  Also, its a good idea to replace the condenser at the same time as the points.

Make certain your gas tank is vented correctly.  In 1970 manufacturers started switching from vented gas caps to vapor recovery systems with a non vented gas cap.  Make sure it's set up correctly for whatever yours uses.  If yours has no vapor recovery system then you need a vented gas cap.    

Wow this has been quite a chase on a problem....

I am having new resto bugs. The one is the car is running for a short time 300yrds about 5 minutes the car runs great then starts to stumble and stop running and won't start or will start and die right away. Changed out the distributor, points, coil and the car is getting gas. I do need a better ground strap but was thinking I just put a generic pvc valve on and I do have a closed oil cap.

Could this be a problem are pvc valves all differ not as far as the pressure to open or close?

So here is what ended up happening, I think. Ended up being a fuel problem in that the carb was getting starved. I used a fuel pump on my car that I put on when I first bought the car. It could have had some debris I. It that was clogging it. I also changed the fuel hose that went from the hard line to the pump it was fuel line but I replaced it with fuel injector hose which is harder. Started her up and viola she now runs as she should, kind of....I still have some tuning to do on the carb having some tip in stumble. The thing runs great though lots of power coming out of the 390. Still need an exhaust to be hooked up properly but it's going to be a lot of fun...