Topless69GT

Fuel injection on 351W? what product?

I am looking a couple winter projects on my 69 GT Convertible with 351W. 

1.) Coil over suspension and R&P steering

2.) Fuel injection on 351W - need to fix lifter clatter first

3.) Overdrive transmission

I think I am going to tackle #1 and #2 this winter and the O/D trans over summer 2016.

My question has anyone had experience with any of the bolt on fuel injection systems out there? The two I see out there are the Edelbrock system and the MSD Atomic system. I am open to suggestions about other products as well. I plan on using the stock air cleaner and want it to appear as close to stock when installed.

Check out FI Tech.  I put their 8 injector system on my big block and absolutely love it.  Great system and great people at the company.  Ken knows his stuff and their customer service is fabulous. 

http://fitechefi.com/

what did you do for the return line? tap a new line in or did you use their engine bay kit?  I have been considering a fuel injection system on my 351W as well...

That kit looks nice . I posted a while back about bolt on fuel injection and got a lot of negative feedback mainly due to the price but this kit looks good for the money. Interested to see if anyone else has this system and what they think .

what did you do for the return line? tap a new line in or did you use their engine bay kit?  I have been considering a fuel injection system on my 351W as well...

I plumbed in all new lines, supply and return.  I used -8 AN PTFE lines.  I have an Aeromotive Phantom Stealth in a 22 gal 70 tank.  I have heard that their engine bay kit works very well though.  I already had everything plumbed for using a return when it was carbureted.  Just had to remove the carb bypass regulator and connect the FI Tech kit.  The nice thing is their system has the regulator built right into the throttle body. Even further cost savings over other kits.  I couldn't be more pleased with this system. 

Topless go with SOT, give Shuan a call, he can help you on deciding what you want.. as for EFI, Fordguy posted a good link, even got me interested in that kit. 

fordguy can you provide any videos or other info of your set up running FI? have you dyno'd the vehicle? 

Topless go with SOT, give Shuan a call, he can help you on deciding what you want.. as for EFI, Fordguy posted a good link, even got me interested in that kit. 

fordguy can you provide any videos or other info of your set up running FI? have you dyno'd the vehicle? 

No dyno, it's a street car, but I can tell you the system has improved the car immensely.  Too be fair, I was having a terrible time getting the carb tuned to perform the way I wanted it to.  Couldn't get a good idle AFR, WOT AFR was fine, but both cruise and idle were way too rich.  Changing jetting and air bleeds could get me marginally acceptable AFR's but then it wouldn't run worth beans on the street.  Maybe could have played with it more, but I got sick of it and bought the EFI.  I was concerned because I have a fairly lumpy cam and I read where some of the other systems didn't tolerate low vacuum cams well.  But this one does great.  I idle at around 11" and it will idle beautifully at 1000rpm with a 14.4 AFR (would probably idle much lower, but my cam grinder told me he doesn't like to idle solid rollers much lower than 1K).  The engine performs fantastic all the way through the RPM bands and the first time I really kicked it, it zinged up to 6500 rpms so fast it startled me.  And the first time I drove it around 20 miles or so, came home and pulled the plugs and the black sooty ones that had been in it were now tan and pretty.  I have about 1000 miles on it now and for the first couple hundred, you could noticeably tell the system was learning and getting better and better.  

I can't say enough about it.  I use it to control my electric fans and my fuel pump, and it will control your timing, but I didn't use that yet.  The handheld controller is really slick and all the sensors and the regulator and the ECU are in the throttle body.  The only external sensors you have to hook up are the coolant temp sensor and the O2 sensor.

I'll try to get a few pics up later.

Fordguy69 do you think that system would fit under a shaker unit.

Can't help you with that Shep.  Never had a shaker.  However, the throttle body is very close to a carb in size and has the same as a holley flange for the air cleaner.  The only issue that I had fitment wise is that I use a very low drop base air cleaner and I had to clearance it a bit around where the fuel and return lines enter the throttle body, even with 90 degree fittings.  But my base is a pretty extreme drop.  If the shaker doesn't drop down over the carb that much, there probably wouldn't be any issues.