Sign in to follow this  
machm1970

Edelbrock Performer and stock air cleaner

I picked up an Edelbrock Performer aluminum intake (actually the Summit knock off for $50) at a swap meet for my 302. I want to keep the stock look as much as possible and would like to keep the original air cleaner. Is anyone else doing this? Will there be issues with hood clearance? It looks kinda tight already where the snorkel is. Right now I have the stock 302 intake with my 2100 carb and the stock 1" carb spacer. If I go with the "Edelbrock" I won't need the spacer for my PCV as the intake has a provision for it. Also, I'm going to use an Autolite 4100 carb.

Thanks,

Matt  

I don't think you will have any hood clearance issues.  If anything the air cleaner may hit the distributor.  It depends on how much more forward the carb pad is on your new intake manifold compared to the stock intake.  That's a common issue on 351W's but I don't know about 302's.

I run an Edelbrock F4B on my 302 which I've read is the same height as the Performer (I don't know that for a fact) The F4B raised the carb about 3/4" so I deleted the spacer under the carb to retain my stock air cleaner and heat riser. The lack of the spacer hasn't caused me any problems (YMMV).  With the spacer I think the stock air cleaner would still fit under the hood but the snorkel wouldn't mate to the heat riser. If you don't run the heat riser, that may not be a concern to you.

I run an F4B as well with no hood clearance issues. I do not use the carb spacer and I have a 4100 series carb on the engine.

For PVC I drilled into the back of the intake right below the carb so it will intersect both sides of the plenum. Taped the hole and put a brass pipe in that the PVC hose then clamps to

Bob

Thanks Guys! I've had F4B's in the past, great intake, mine looks very similar (Summit may have copied the design). I had my stock air cleaner and valve covers powder coated and they look goos enough I want to keep them but have a little more performance.  

Matt

I think those "off brand" and  "house brand" dual plane generic intake manifolds for the 302's and the others for the 351W's are copies of the Weiand Stealth intake manifolds.  The Stealth is a very good dual plane intake manifold.  There are many different models of "off brand" and "house brand" manifolds out there.  They look to be copies of either the Weiand Stealth, Edelbrock Victor Jr. and Edelbrock RPM Air Gap.  All seem to be the same regardless of what brand name is on it.  It looks like they are all from the same foundry and labeled with several different brand names.

I think you're right, looking at the Steath it looks identical. The only issue I see is that the base of the 4100 is a little wider than the pad on the intake. The 4100 has open cavities on the bottom of the base and it looks like I would have a vacuum leak if I don't use a spacer. On Summit's website they offer a 1/4" spacer (which is still 3/4" shorter than the stock) or a Mr. Gasket heat dissipating thing which is basically a few very thin spacer plates (sheet metal) seperated by gastets. Anyone else witha 4100 run into this? 

Thanks,

Matt