Sign in to follow this  
Tgriffin91

Car runs great cold but misses at idle after warming up

Title basically says it all. I have a stock 302 C-4 combo. When I first start the car up everything is smooth and runs great but after it gets up to running temperature it sounds like one cylinder begins to miss. I checked the spark plugs yesterday and they look good. I checked the points gap and that looked ok too. The rotor cap looked like it was only hitting the front edge, which would indicate timing? I played with that a bit adjusting it a few degrees up and down (missing my timing indicator) and that didn't help.

I'm thinking at this point it may be bad points?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks! 

-Thomas

I think Brian's suggesting that you unhook one at a time while it's running. If nothing changes, that cylinder, wire, or plug is suspect. Of course, I would inspect each wire first for obvious problems. My center coil wire retreated into the boot such that the boot was firmly attached to the distributor cap but the wire was not -- the car ran like crap because the spark was arcing from the cap to the wire.

Also make sure your choke is operating properly and it's opening when warm.

Possible cracked cap opening up when engine is warm, try running car at night and check for arcing, spray cap with wd40 when running and missing to see if it clears up. You could could also have a plug wire breaking down when warmed up. Also try spraying inside of cap with wd40 and wipe off excess then run, this will eliminate any carbon tracking (doubtful this is problem but you never know)

I checked the wires and they look alright. Like I said they are not my favorite ones. Currently I have the 8mm accel wires. I ordered a pertonix module to get rid of my points. I've been waiting to get one a while now and finally found one on sale. Hoping that will help with the issues.

What wires would you guys recommend for replacements?