Sign in to follow this  
1969Fstback

Thermostat size?

Most people run a 180 degree thermostat.  I use a 160 degree high flow like Mr. Gasket or EMP Steward offers.  Make certain whatever thermostat you install has a bleed hole.  If not, drill a small hole, 1/8" or smaller in it (the outer portion of it that doesn't move).  It helps purge air pockets and helps to balance the pressure on both sides of the thermostat.  Every time I've drilled one that didn't come with a bleed hole, it seemed to work better and more consistent.  

195 degree is too hot for these classic cars, in my opinion.

I run the 195 degree thermostat, with bleed hole, in my 428.   That car also has a 3 row radiator. The 69 Shop Manual suggests for the cooler climates; 157-165 degrees and fully open at 184 degrees.  For the hotter climates 188-195 degrees and fully open at 212 degrees.  Does not specify a thermostat by engine size.  I have also read that running a hotter engine helps to keep contaminent levels down.  In my 289 car I run the 165 thermostat with 3 row radiator.  No heating issues with either car.  Brian

post-33155-0-04970000-1437874623.jpg

I dont see how a hotter thermostat made your header gasket blow.

All a thermostat does is control the MINIMUM operating temperature. It has NO EFFECT on reducing or increasing the chances of overheating, assuming it is opening when it should...Obviously, a failed closed thermostat will cause a problem. But one that opens at the higher end of a completly acceptable operating limit will not hurt anything.

I went from a 160 to a 195, and a 195 runs so much better.. with the 160, my car ALWAYS smelled like gas, even though the carb is tuned very well. With the 195 in, I was clearly getting more complete combustion. And it did NOT make my car run any HOTTER, other than the minimum temperature of course.

You will find that going from a 160 to a 195 will:

1) improve throttle response

2) burn cleaner, and more completely

3) prevent sludge by insuring oil temperature is hot enough to boil out the vapor and vent through the PCV system Big problem with running anything below 180* thermostat. The engine MUST get the oil temperature above boiling point of water. Running a low thermostat prevents this from happening, and WILL create SLUDGE.

4) Increase in gas mileage, also see #2.

Notice that all the cars these days run at around 210 minimum? It's because it is much more efficient and cleaner.

If you car over heats with a 160, it will still over heat with a 195, just all the same as it would over heat without a thermostat at all, and likewaise, if your car didn't over heat with a 160, it will not over heat with a 195, or with none at all.

Original Ford Spec was 195.

Stayed at 195. I did have the time s tad advanced and backed it down. Headers been on this thing probably since the 80s. Just assumed with the gaskets being 30 years old, the 30 degrees and extra expanding was more than they could take.