Sign in to follow this  
BandBSTANGS

Rear leaf springs

I bought a pair of Scott Drake 4 1/2 leaf mid eye springs from Summit hoping to lower rear of car. As usual the new springs raised the back of car higher and now rides like a buckboard on freshly plowed fields.

Being a certified rocket scientist (lol) I took my old leafs to spring shop to have them re-arched to drop back of car and to add a 1/2 leaf towards frt to help with wheel hop if car ever hooks. Put re-arched springs on and it appears spring shop arched springs to raise rear of car and its now higher than with S/D springs although it does ride better.

My question is can I take 2 lower springs off of S/D springs to drop rear of car and to soften the ride slightly?

Has anyone tried something like this before?post-14038-0-19726500-1432175810.jpgpost-14038-0-03035200-1432175827.jpgpost-14038-0-65523800-1432175836.jpgpost-14038-0-07101100-1432175846.jpgpost-14038-0-22819700-1432175857.jpg

WOW you got some major room under there now HA-HA.

and yes you can remove the 2 lower springs if you like and it may help get you where you want to be, just gotta remove the little bolt that holds them all together.

I would personally return the Drake springs and get my money back and then take my original springs and have hte shop Re-Do them

If you remove the two lower springs then you will be more prone to spring wrap on acceleration which will lead to rear end hop under hard acceleration.

Similar can happen upon braking.

I would not do it. Return the springs, put in blocks, or even dearch the new springs if need be

Bob

do not remove springs unless you want a much softer ride and greatly increased potential for bottoming out.

have the shop that messed up the re-arc redo them, however, your orig springs are way too soft for any type of performance app so it would be better to have them re-arc the drake springs if they are stiffer than stock.

if they are on the car just leave it with them and have them do all the labor for free.

Return the Scott Drake springs to Summit if its not too late.  Don't mess with the old stock springs.  Get new springs elsewhere.  Don't forget, your old original springs had a lot of sag in them (before they were re-arched) so you cannot use that as a gauge for the new ride height.

it looks like they simply misunderstood you and increased the arc instead of decreasing it because increasing the arc is what spring shops most commonly do.

when you tighten the mounting bolts, you can put the axle on jack stands and a 100 lbs of something in the trunk then tighten them.

i did not post these stupid photos.

Any body know what the spring rat is on the Scott Drake springs?

We sell the Scott Drake springs. The rate on the 4.5 is 175lbs.

Did you torque the front bolt with the car up in the air? The mid eye normally holds the car with the fender lip about an inch above the tire.