JayEstes

My "little red horsey" wont light up....

All,

I have gotten everything to work in my rebuilt cluster except for the high beam indicator light.  I replaced everything with Hipo-parts LEDs, and other than the dimming function - which I can't get to work even thought I bought the kit that should - I have been pleased with how they work.  You have to mind the +'s and -'s, but when I do, these LEDs look great.  I bought the ones that mimic the original color and I am really pleased with how they look.

The green turn indicator cluster lamps are awesome, the other lamps light all the gauges evenly and with proper color, but damn - i can't even get a hint of a red light on the horsey (high-beam indicator).  Whats up with that?

I know the bulb is working, I can see it glowing from the backside!  It's getting voltage and my socket was a little challenging, but after fixing that, the red light is coming on as it should - seems like to me. 

So I pulled the instrument panel, and the way it is made, the light doesn't go directly to the horse.  It has to be reflected around inside a white chamber to come out.  The LED looks like a directional one - concave in the center, but honestly, I have pulled it and held a 70 lumen headlight over the hole and virtually NOTHING (although there is a little bit... way below acceptable levels) comes thru the horse.  Could there be something in there that is blocking the indicator?  I think I pulled the cover to polish the lens but nothing else - I'm real surprised I can't get light thru.

Anybody tread these ground before?  I'm baffled.  Appreciative of any guidance.  hi-beams are ON in the attached pic, not a hint of red on the horse.... even tho the red LED light is illuminated...

Jay

post-14729-0-78785000-1428383481.jpeg

Well, this topic got lots of "reads" but no replies, so I dove in there.  This thing hasn't been apart since it was new, so when I got in there I found that the little piece of plastic that has the horse logo on it is held in by tape.  This tape is really old and yellow/brown:

post-14729-0-01450600-1428602498.jpg

Mine also had a little wrinkle across the horse, so that also affected how light came thru.  I just removed the tape, cleaned the residue off by scraping (the horse is recessed in this plastic piece from the back so I didn't want to use cleaners which might leave residue inside the recess).  I just scrapped generally away from the horse, and cleaned off what I could.  Then, I just reinstalled the plastic piece and used a piece of clear strapping tape to hold it in place.

After re-assembly, I found the red-LED just didn't seem to put out enough light to bounce around in the double 90deg turn chamber to come thru the thick (and surprisingly dark) plastic piece that has the logo in it.  So, I just stuck one of the original incandescent bulbs in that slot, and it seemed to be ok.  I'm not thrilled with it, but it's pretty good.  I wish the glow was a little brighter, but I am thinking I may change my mind if I am out driving in the dark somewhere.

I didn't get a picture of it lit, but I'll plan to post one later.  Hope this experience helps someone down the road.

BTW- anybody got a refurb solution for that chrome ring on the front of the instrument bezel?  As you can tell from the pic in the first post, the "chrome" has come off alot around the 4 rings on the dash bezel.  Right now I am living with it, but if there are some thoughts on how to refurb it, I'd like to hear them.

Well done.

I have had the bulbs go bad on the hi beam, but never thought the lens could be so old and dirty it would block the light - thanks for posting that.

The plastic of the lens bezels can be re-chromed, but the cost is high and there are paint options that look good.  I like the satin Argent silver on the bezels.  There is much taping and masking in your future, but it gives a really nice look to the whole cluster when done right.

Three light coats 15 minutes apart will give a silky smooth, appealing finish.

Oh, that sounds great except for all of the taping and masking (and razoring, and re-taping, etc, etc).  I'm getting way too impatient to take a real drive... I may just delay this refurb to after I start driving the car again... not sure I have the patience to spend the hours required to get this to look "just so" at this point.  I feel like I have been debugging trvial little electrical things for way too long and I have a need to get the dash buttoned up for the time-being - get onto bigger things like getting interior in.

I am wondering is the satin argent paint something I should be able to get at a local auto or HW store, or should I order that?

I also got the HiPo led kit. I found that the light that is supplied for the high beams is not bright enough to show up. What I ended up doing was using one of the cheap white LED lights that I got off of Amazon. My indicator lights up rather nicely now.

BTW- anybody got a refurb solution for that chrome ring on the front of the instrument bezel?  As you can tell from the pic in the first post, the "chrome" has come off alot around the 4 rings on the dash bezel.  Right now I am living with it, but if there are some thoughts on how to refurb it, I'd like to hear them.

I used some of this foil stuff on a recommendation by some other members. It looks ok (not true chrome, but better than nothing) but it is really tedious to apply and trim. Mine came out a little messy but overall better than what I started with.

http://www.bare-metal.com/bare-metal-foil.html

I know this of no help, but the red horsey is the only thing on my cluster that works right now.

There you go - it is a start!

I see a new CVR and printed circuit board in your future......yes,

They can be frustrating, but I have resurrected two crapped out clusters, and I am not very good at electrics.  Keep at it.

I can relate.  I had no idea how much of my stuff was working after the car had sat for years.  But I pulled the harness and got it overhauled and checked out by midlife (highly recommended BTW -he fixed problems I never knew I had!!), then a new circuit board for the cluster, and I took the cluster apart and completely cleaned everything up.  Amazing how it all mostly worked when I put it all back together.   I had a few issues here and there, but I consider myself "not an electrical guy" and I got it all working.   Not a great pic, but "the red horse rides again":

post-14729-0-81870600-1428780540.jpg

Well.  IDK.  Maybe you have a "grande" or a mach1 or a deluxe?  I've got a base model coupe - nothing particulary special.  Good 302 engine with a C4 trans.  Your speedo gauge looks more like the one on my sons 71 coupe.  I don't know what the different interior package differences were, but I'm guessing you have something better than the base model?