Sign in to follow this  
tommyjack

Shelby Drop Blues

Did the Shelby drop on a 69, passenger side only so far.  Shock does not fit right.  Had to really lean on it (small pry bar} to get it into the top mounts.  Bottom don't fit flush either.  Also put in a 1 inch lower spring but I'm thinking spring perch issue. Anyone seen this before?

I used a template from opentracker, and dropped mine, both sides.  It all went together pretty darn well when I put it back, and I didn't have any issues that I am aware of yet (haven't done alignment, but I have driven the car around the block).  I put in new gas-adjust shocks, new UCA's with spring perches, and new, but original ht springs.  Maybe send pics - I'm not sure which way it is "not flush"...

Yes, I've had that happen many times before I started using roller spring perches. The rubber bushing perches don't like to rotate so you have to move the suspension up or down until the top of the shock lines up with the top mount. When you move the suspension, the rubber bushing perches put a huge side load on the shock. The suspension pivot points should all move freely for a good ride quality and good handling.

Yes, I was wondering too if you have the spring 180 out.  If you installed the spring perch 180 out, and the end of the coil is outboard, that might mess things up.  The end of the coil sits against a tab on the spring perch.  I believe the tab (& the end of the coil) is supposed to be inboard, mine are assembled that way right now and work fine.  I also did have to compress the UCA/spring upwards to get the shock attached as mentioned above.  It was maybe 1-2 in upwards travel of the UCA tip in order to get things aligned so I could bolt in the shock.

The rubber bushing in the spring perch holds the perch at a particular angle and it won't move from that angle. After the perch is bolted to the upper arm and the shock is bolted to the spring perch, you have to move the upper arm to align the top of the shock with the upper shock mount. When you move the suspension from that point, the perch puts side load on the shock, causing bind. With a freely moving spring perch, like a roller perch, there isn't the side load on the shock and the suspension moves without the bind.

Well, not enough sleep, working to long on it, and trying to finish it up to return a friends tool, led me to put the spring in 180 degrees out.  I've installed springs several times before and never had this problem.  Must be getting old.  And a gluten for punishment.  Doing a Shelby drop on a big block with headers in the car is not fun.  Thanks for all the input.  Roller perches are on my list.