MikeStang

Center Console Construction

That's a good question Sparky LOL.

I plan on installing a center bracket in the bottom rear of the console under the arm rest area and screwing it to the floor back there. and then where it goes under the dash in a still undetermined location I will add 2 more brackets to bolt it up under the dash.

Actually the pass side has 2 screws over there that are for the glove box, and I may utilize one of those holes on that side when I get ready to fab those up

Can't wait to see it finished and installed. If my trials this spring to fit front Fiero seats in the rear works out I'll probably be using this page and it's links as a reference to make a full front to back console setup.

Big Secz what did you use on your center cap piece? Is it stained or painted?

Pak if you notice the back of my console is cut at an angle that matched the seats.

I did this so that I could later on add on to it when I run the full rear console.

I am considering doing the full rear on top of the stock rear seats so that it just sits on the seat and is anchored via the front console and at the top once it clears the rear seat back into the rear deck.

But when the front is finished I'm ordering my Mr. Mikes Fiero seat covers and redoing my fiero seats.

Then I will start on the back end work.

Am considering putting cup holders into the arm rest top since there isnt much room anywhere else and side mounting would look like an after thought.

What would really be trick if you had the room to squeeze it in would be a set of pop out cup holders. The rear of my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee had a cool set up, space wise it takes up about 3/4" high by 5" wide, when you push in it pops out and then has a bottom section that springs down like 2"-3".

I don't have that Jeep anymore but I was looking for a picture to post as an example and stumbled across a company called JDM that makes all kinds of aftermarket things like this for the import crowd, look how tiny and stealthy this one is, there when you need it otherwise invisible.

JDM%20DC%20ITR%20Cup%20Holder%20Large.jp

That would be cool but I got no clue where I would put it.

The rear of the console is gonna be connected to the new rear console when I build it so that's not gonna work.

ALTHO..... there would be room between my radio and my AC Controls, but I wouldnt want soft drinks leaking all down my console and on to my AC controls :-/

Hummmmmm...

Seriously considering putting them in the top of the console arm rest lid, but I couldnt use those big ones like Big Secz has the damn lid is too small for that.

Hummmmm.

Well finally picked out a Head Unit for the console...Stuck with a tried and True Pioneer brand AVH-X3700BHS...6.2" Touch screen, blue tooth, 2 camera outputs, HD Radio and nav upgradeable.

Though the camera was a good option since our mirrors duck when your backing up.

Heading to the shop now to be sure it's gonna fit and hopefully install it

Well finally picked out a Head Unit for the console...Stuck with a tried and True Pioneer brand AVH-X3700BHS...6.2" Touch screen, blue tooth, 2 camera outputs, HD Radio and nav upgradeable.

Though the camera was a good option since our mirrors duck when your backing up.

Heading to the shop now to be sure it's gonna fit and hopefully install it

Few Pics of the console with the New head unit installed, along with the AC Controls.

I need to get a trip piece for the radio which for some reason didn't come with the damn thing like most head units do.

Its kinda odd actually but I can get one in an install kit.

So whats everyone's thoughts.

I am going to have to trim the cross piece in the lower dash because the head unit hits it which keeps it from going all the way back into the console and sitting flush like I want it to.

So now it's almost time to cover this thing and bolt it in.

I'm wondering how it would look with some carpet on the sides now that matches the carpet in the car.

I think it would make it blend in a bit better and look a bit more factory looking.

Thoughts?

post-13203-0-11445800-1424881862.jpg

I'm wondering if "while you're in there" you make a little USB port on the front or side of the console for charging up various devices.  It's small and discrete, and probably easier to do now rather than after it's all wrapped up and done.  Above you mentioned you're putting in a 12V outlet, but a USB would be smaller and prevent you from needing a 12V car charger thing.  Looks good though!

I think I'm a fan of smooth vinyl (leather?) on the sides that match the dash, rather than carpet.  Otherwise, that's a lot of fuzz down there :) 

Yeah I will be putting a 12V outlet, and want to put a USB hard mounted into the console as well.

The head Unit has a 6' USB cable that comes with it that you can plug your I-Pod or what ever into and then it plugs into the back of the radio and you can control your device from the radio.

I just gotta figure out how to mount that Female USB End LOL

Maybe run the usb under to the console box, but I think you are already going to do this.  I have a 12 volt outlet in my console box, so I can run my mp3 and charge a phone with no wires running all over. So consider putting an extra outlet in the box under the armrest? 

And maybe a light on the lid, so when you lift the armrest, a light turns on, so at night you can see all the junk in your console?

LOL...Well I slapped some Vinyl on it last night...Talk about a Pain in the Ballz....That center cap was hard to get right since I had only glue to hold it in place.

Oh well...Still gotta cover the arm rest lid, and make and cover the rear finish panel, but all in all im pretty happy with it

post-13203-0-62577400-1425074493.jpg

Nice Job Mike.

With thin foam and vinyl it will look like a late model factory item.

If you have not yet found a solution to the issue of fixing it. I would suggest a strip of 2 inch aluminum, attached to the inside of the lower edge, and bent out at an angle to allow a good fit onto the carpet. You will not need a complete full length strip, so no dramas at curves.

Fitting with screws will suffice. Mark and drill holes about 8 inches apart for fixing through the carpet. mark the carpet and burn through holes with a soldering iron to avoid carpet thread pulling. Self tapping screws straight into the tunnel steel.

Well here it is pretty much done.

I will be hooking all the electronics up tonight and fine tuning some stuff, but this is pretty much it.

Not sure why the Vinyl looks so light in the picture in comparison to the dash however....odd

post-13203-0-51237300-1425406425.jpg

post-13203-0-04398200-1425406440.jpg

If your considering a new head Unit I will have to say This New Pioneer Unit Kicks so much ass over my JVC Single din.

This thing has amazing sound quality and EQ controls out of this world.

Love it, plus you can customize the button and screen controls to match your car..HAHA