Ridge Runner

1969 Calypso Coral CJ Mach 1

Brought it home today ,after being in storage since 1981. I haven't even seen it in years .Well ,the motor is missing ,The rear end is missing and the interior was removed but still in the car . Some one broke into the shop were it was stored . Going to be expensive to replace every thing missing .

It is a ,was, 428 CJ ramair ,4 speed with 3:91 Detroit locker . It is number 1124 Built in San Jose .

I will have to do a floor because cats were sleeping in it and crapped the floor full ,and i mean full .It rotted out the front driver floor and a rusty surface on the pass side .It was rear ended in 81 and that is why i parked it so it will need a tail panel .All the interior is there ,even the fold down and a dent free trap door .

I already ordered the floor and tail panel so my first step will be removing the old cat crap floor and the smashed tail panel.

IMG_0156_zpsrnn9upjr.jpg

The instrument cluster is in good shape as is the clock panel ,needs some repainting ,but it all worked when i parked it and i hope it still does .

IMG_0160_zpsfkj6ba60.jpg

IMG_0159_zpsb6doijzg.jpg

It still has the AM FM radio in the dash

IMG_0158_zpse2jcrs3v.jpg

What i want to do for now is make it a finished rolling body   and hunt down the missing pieces when i can afford to .

Got it taken apart , things look good .No cracks in the big block towers and the aprons are perfect, even the battery apron and the battery tray its self . The outer side of the battery apron still has yellow grease pencil ,R8  and 5 and D .the R8 i figure to be 428 ram air V8 .Not sure about the 5 but the D must stand for Disk brakes ?It also has a F on the front cross member ,I think that means front  hahaha . Soon as i get the new floor in and the tail panel in it will go on the rotisserie for blasting and epoxy primer.

I got the rest of the floor out today .I have cuts on nearly every knuckle . I will need to do some very small patches on the front toe boards ,just the lip the floor spot welds to .

I scraped all the old tar out ,that was a mess .

I am going to sand blast the whole inside and epoxy prime before the new floor  will go in.

I got the roof and the quarters sanded down to bare metal .The lead line at the roof looked funny so i picked at it with a screw driver ...It went right through . I get to do a new roof !

looking inside i found two rats nest ,under that the bracing was like an egg shell .

The roof is patchable but i need to blast and primmer the under bracing and patch that so i figure replacing the roof would be the easiest. And besides that there is about 8 dents around the edge ,a new roof will take care of all of the out side .The rain gutter has about 100 spot welds ,on each side ,about 1/2 inch apart so that will not be fun .

Ah the memories. This is reminding me a lot of mine. I was actually picking out rats and wasp nests last week out of one of my torque boxes.

I had a block to start with though. Not sure how I would approach it again if I knew back then what I do now. It's pretty easy to say now though what ever your budget is, double or triple it. What ever your time frame is, double or triple that too. And if you want to go for a concours build, I think you could double or triple the previous double or triple. I'm not doing a concours build but I'm pretty much have had to double in my initial outlay. And I got 20k worth of new parts receipts with the car. Rust, dents, many years of neglect and an FE all equate to a massive expense.

I'm keen to see how you go. The more motivation I can get to get stuck into mine the better. If you have some progress photos, they'd be great to follow.

Sorry about the pics ,my camera is on the fritz .i hope to have it fixed soon. 

I have been knocking out mud wasp nest all over this thing ,they are every where .The rockers are full of pistachio nuts and pecans ,I don't have a clue how they got pecans in the rockers but it will be fun getting them out . This one has been painted one time and it looks like competition orange but i cant find any bondo .There is a couple of very small dents in the quarters but they are small enough i don't think i will need any bondo to fix them..The roof would have been fine if it wasn't for the rats ,rat pee will dessolve  about anything .

I was supposed to have a 428 block coming ,but that doesn't look like it will happen now ,i will just have to keep looking i guess.

I got the camera working ,it just needed to be slapped around a little bit .

I sanded some of the lead away ,didn't want to get it flying around .The holes are not that bad ,but i will have to wait until i get the rest of it melted out so i can see just how bad the rot is below the lead . I will sand blast the back side to see what all blows away .I may not need to do a roof if the rest of it looks like this .

IMG_0206_zps7wlppgi7.jpg

IMG_0208_zpsh9q5wg6g.jpg

The quarters look very nice the few small dings show with a bit of primmer left inside them.

IMG_0204_zpsszcvkcf9.jpg

IMG_0205_zpsumknjpfa.jpg

I was digging through my so called " junk pile " but i call stored parts .I found all kinds of goodies ! Enough of the plastic pieces around the radio and end of the dash to do 5 69-70s .I found the light for under the clock panel.Enough side scoops for a 69 for 4 cars and pieces for more.4 sets of head light buckets .A pile of stainless headlight trim rings .A few sets of kick panels .Three fast back back seats ,three sets of deluxe door panels with all the trim pieces ,and i just got started .No telling what i will come up with ,I have been saving parts for years .It's like hunting Easter eggs !!

Selling the extra parts will be nice to put back into what you really need to buy. Looking great so far !

I have 3 69s so i will use a lot of it ,but i have found some very nice 67 -68 pieces i may put up for sale .I hate to sell any thing though ,soon as i do i need it .

will be a nice car !  better shape than the one i found in a farmers field, 428 car hit hard on right front , bad part is sitting in the dirt so the whole bottom is probly rusted out now.

You never can tell .I was given a 69 Q code fastback a few years ago that was stuck in the mud and it dried there .The guy wanted to lift it with  a fork lift .I told him do not touch it ,i would jack it up and put a dolly under it .When i got it home i pressure washed the bottom and it was just about spot less .It just depends on what type of dirt it is setting on .

Rotten or not ,i would snag that 428 car .

I started taking out the old tail light panel ,what a PITB ! Nothing like removing a 65-68  .The inner  light mount is the hard part ,especially when you are trying to save it and the piece under the end cap .Doesn't help the tail panel is bent up .It is coming out ,a piece at a time .Going to try to get everything trimmed out and epoxy primed before the new parts come in .

The new sheet metal made it in today .The floor kit has all the plugs,rubber plugs ,seat risers ,the rear seat retaining clips although they are for a coupe /convertible ,it even has the tops of the rear torque boxes .I seldom have to replace these so i have a big pile of them .It even has the emergency brake cable bracket for the bottom of the floor .

IMG_0251_zpsjtp6iyz7.jpg

IMG_0253_zpsit2nusiy.jpg

IMG_0252_zpslnpiynpd.jpg

All the work i did to save the brackets for mounting the tail lights and the taillight panel has them already installed. I will save the old ones ,someone will need them sooner or later .Tail light panel looks nice .

IMG_0247_zpssz25u8wc.jpg

IMG_0248_zpshckpkxg8.jpg

IMG_0246_zpsteamv5ih.jpg

The outer air box on the driver side had a big dent and i didn't like that so i order it  also.

IMG_0249_zps2cnjb2nm.jpg

The panel below the back window is nice ,it even has the stainless molding clip studs .Problem is it is about 1/8 inch short .I will have to widen it or the trunk lid will be to close to the quarters .

IMG_0250_zpsr8tinm6n.jpg

It has been warm and sunny here the last few days ,that is until to day ,cold and foggy .I will have to wait a couple of days to sand blast and primer the inside of the car before the new sheet metal can go in.

I bought the sand today and the primer .The blaster is filled ,the compressor is gassed up ,the hoses are laid out and ready to go .First thing in the morning i will blast the inside and inside the trunk .Should get it primed inside also .I would like to get the floor in this weekend ,i will have two very small patches in the toe board lip where the floor sets but that will not take long to fix.I think i will blast up inside the roof where the pin holes are and see what happens ,if it doesn't blow a big hole ,cross your fingers ,i will just patch the  rotted areas .

I got it blasted ,at least what will be covered up by the new panels .I had a little extra sand so i did the cowl and the door jambs .The holes in the roof did not blow out any more than what they were before blasting so i am going to just patch them.I have a little bit of patch work on the lip of the toe boards on both sides but not a lot .I will start on the tail panel and the rear window lower panel tomorrow ,i should be able to get the outer air box as well .I primmerd inside the fire wall and under the cowl and most of the trunk ,the rest will get blasted when i get it on the rotisserie .

IMG_0294_zpsyvesmznw.jpg

IMG_0295_zpsnimujcyg.jpg

IMG_0297_zpsvli7206l.jpg

IMG_0296_zpsfbf3prcy.jpg

IMG_0303_zps10bipekc.jpg

IMG_0302_zpswfwsq2hy.jpg

IMG_0299_zps6o4gtfdq.jpg