Sign in to follow this  
kevin31

raise up the back

Hi there!

My car is much lower on the left side. Approx less than 1", and my left tyre touches the rear fender with hard impact on the road

After a discussion the last weekend, someone told me that i should add shims between the leaf springs and the mounting plate. What ?????

I know that adding block bewteen the rear axle and lef spring will lower the car...

post-16133-0-50326900-1421730104.png

What do you think? any advices?

Thanks!!

K

you can only lower this car with a spacer . . you can not raise it . . one of your leafs is weak or one of your fronts is weak . . its a bit of a challenge to know which one is is . . if you have lowering springs in the front you can put a thinner spacer in the front side that is high or a thicker one in the front side that is low . . if both sides in front are exactly the same then your front suspension is bent or the car is bent.

Check your rear frame rails .If there is a kink ,usually around the bump stop, then a rail may be bent .The rail with the kink is usually pushed in lifting that side of the car .The leafs do go bad and it could just be a bad leaf causing one side to sag.You can shim the high side and level it but that may cause both sides to rub the tires .

I had the same problem, in my car the upper leaf on the driver side was not bent in parallel with the others.

I think the culprit was too much axle wrap, I have rearched a bit with a simply sistem and I gained 1/2 inch, I would try again applying more force

20141216_175327.jpg

As discussed, you need to do an inspection and find out why and where the difference is located. If a visual inspection doesn't work, measure the frame rails from the floor to the lower edges and compare the side to side measurement. Many times if one corner is off, the cause is at the diagonal corner.

Thank you all for your replies.

Sparky, to be more precise, the leaf springs are brand new, 5 leaf springs standard eyes

http://www.cjponyparts.com/5-leaf-spring-kit-1969-1973/p/LSK6/

The previous owner bought them but it was never installed. Maybe a bad series...

Barnett, I did not take any measurement in the front. I will do that.

I checked my frames, no damages found. As you said RPM I need to do a deeper inspection with measurement. But what do you mean by "Many times if one corner is off, the cause is at the diagonal corner"

What I don't understand, is that my car sits very low with this kind of springs...

I made a try one day with a set of TCP 4,5 mid eye leaf spring. Weird no?

post-16133-0-39845600-1422299885.png

Hopefully this explains it better. I've been told by a couple of petty good frame/alignment/suspension guys that just because you notice a left to right difference in the car's height at say the right front, the cause (something bent/broken/out of alignment) can be at the diagonal (in this example at the left rear) corner. It's not something that happens all the time, but it does happen.