Sign in to follow this  
Shep69

Hood Tach

I've read the hood mounted tachs were dealer installed. I like them but don't like the idea of drilling in my finished hood. Like many other repro parts, more than likely only one mfg. is reproducing them so you'll get the same thing regardless of where you buy it.

I nearly opted for one when I was comparing the price of putting in a factory tach panel. You dont see too many cars with them. Originally were those installed at the factory or by the dealer?

They were available either aftermarket or from the dealer with the Ford branding on it as part of the performance parts program, and there were a couple different styles of faceplate:

364169363.jpg

Found a pic of my old 69 with the hood tack .It's a scanned pic so not the best . It had the Ford tack with a shaker scoop .I heard after i sold the car the guy pulled the hood, the shaker ,and the tack because he didn't like the way they looked .He totaled it two weeks later :blink:

Mburger the tach looks the same as the laurel mountain ones but they are white and don't have the ford logo . They are a lot cheaper and I'm happy to paint it but I'm not sure of the quality. As I'm running MSD dizzy and a 6 AL ignition unit will this tachometer work or will I need a tach adaptor .

Thanks Shep

I purchased one of the first Scott Drake repro's back in '06 when they first came out, these were black with choice of a white or black face so not sure if this all white one is made by someone different or not. Looks different but could have been an inline change by them or different vendor. Mine came with a template to drill the holes but not for exact placement. We have had several original owners here who ordered the tach from the trans am catalog through the dealer and installed upon delivery. As most things like this exact placement varied slightly and it also depends on the options you have as well. For example on a ram air hood I've seen the back edge lined up with the back edge of the shaker, on the mach scoop I have seen the front edge lined up with the back edge of the scoop. To me the most important thing is you want to start with it in a good place on the hood that is easy to see when you want then you might want to make some adjustments side to side depending on where that falls over the under hood bracing and lastly you want to make sure that it is far back enough that it doesn't contact the windshield or anything when opened. All of these taken into consideration really limit the overall placement options.

Here's a pic of mine, I added the Ford logo myself.

hood_tach_001.jpg

I always thought this was a nice option for non tach IP's.  How do these hood mount tachs hold up to vibrations, shaking, opening and closing of the of the hood, and being outside in general?  Are they easy to read from the drivers seat?

I always thought this was a nice option for non tach IP's.  How do these hood mount tachs hold up to vibrations, shaking, opening and closing of the of the hood, and being outside in general?  Are they easy to read from the drivers seat?

Mine was on the car for ten years  with out a problem. They are easy to read .I had a Comp cams 280 h in my 351 so it shook pretty good

I do recall back in the day when these were on daily drivers that some folks complained about fogging on the inside as the seal wore or hardened over time, I would think these days though that most of our cars won't be subjected to harsh elements anymore.

Unlike most people I was actually glad my car was a non tach car because I always wanted a hood tach.