Sign in to follow this  
dblizzo

Dash Wires

Hello all. This is my first post in the midst of all the spam. Ha. Anyway, been on here for quite some time but never posted just searched all my info. BTW, thanks for all the good info. I'm getting ever so close to finishing off my 69 coupe resto-mod.

My car came to me with dash all apart and I know I'm missing some parts.

I am in the process now of getting the dash back together and figuring out wires and such. Which now leads me to my questions. I'm not sure what wires these are. I'll try to upload a couple pics.

One pic has some wires and a couple bulbs I pulled out of the lower dash. One wire is hidden in the background. Where do the bulbs go? Im assuming some of the wires are for the radio and console. I just dont know which is which.

In the other pic, there are some wires that run on top of the glove box. I know one of them is attached to the wire that goes to the door button light. Not sure what the other wires are for. map light or glove box light? I don't have a clock on my dash. Im missing all hardware for light and glove box pressure button.

Any help would be great. Now for uploading pics.

Hello all. This is my first post in the midst of all the spam. Ha. Anyway, been on here for quite some time but never posted just searched all my info. BTW, thanks for all the good info. I'm getting ever so close to finishing off my 69 coupe resto-mod.

My car came to me with dash all apart and I know I'm missing some parts.

I am in the process now of getting the dash back together and figuring out wires and such. Which now leads me to my questions. I'm not sure what wires these are. I'll try to upload a couple pics.

One pic has some wires and a couple bulbs I pulled out of the lower dash. One wire is hidden in the background. Where do the bulbs go? Im assuming some of the wires are for the radio and console. I just dont know which is which.

In the other pic, there are some wires that run on top of the glove box. I know one of them is attached to the wire that goes to the door button light. Not sure what the other wires are for. map light or glove box light? I don't have a clock on my dash. Im missing all hardware for light and glove box pressure button.

Any help would be great. Now for uploading pics.

Since you have been on this forum gather info you probably know that MidLife is the one to talk to, I think he has a photostatic copy of the mustangs wiring diagrams imprinted in his brain. He will chime in if he sees this I'm sure.

Dave

In the photo on the right, the 5 pin connector goes to the heater/AC fan swith. The bulb next to it lights up the heater AC control,and the single wire there probably goes to the AC on control. The bulb towards the back could be for the key light.

In the photo on the left, the connectors pointing up go to the clock and map light, and the single one on the right is for the door light on the passenger door.

But this could be wrong, as I am just remebering most of this.

In the photo on the right, the 5 pin connector goes to the heater/AC fan swith. The bulb next to it lights up the heater AC control,and the single wire there probably goes to the AC on control. The bulb towards the back could be for the key light.

In the photo on the left, the connectors pointing up go to the clock and map light, and the single one on the right is for the door light on the passenger door.

But this could be wrong, as I am just remebering most of this.

Well danno I forgot about you and your electrical knowledge, good job.

Dave

and the single one on the right is for the door light on the passenger door.

Cool thanks guys. A few more questions. If that wire on the right is for the door light, which I suspected, what actually connects to it? A male end that goes to a light assembly? I don't have any of that. Where would the light go? I know the other set of wires (yellow/green wire and black)that run off of it go to my door switch.

Where the heck are my stereo wires? I guess I'll have to take a closer look.

And finally, on the pic on the right, there is a black wire with two female inlets in the background of the pic. What might that be? It may be hard to see.

Danno got it. The picture on the left shows the clock harness 2 pin plug (an accessory...if you don't have it, leave it alone) along with a single blue/red female bullet that's also part of the clock harness. The male bullet with two blue/black wires is for courtesy lights: underdash, rear quarter panels, etc. It doesn't have to be filled.

The picture on the right shows the connector to the heater switch, and the two green wires with single covered spades are for the AC controller. What's hidden behind the wires is a dual pin (both female) plug. The wire colors should be yellow/black and blue/red, and that is for the radio power/lights. There are two bulbs in that picture: the top one is for the ignition switch, IIRC, and the second may well be for the heater switch. The second bulb is a long, skinny bulb that if you follow the wire, you'll find it is plugged into the main underdash harness. Normally, I associate those bulbs with the shifter lamp, but this is an area that I'm not as familiar with.

Give Danno a gold star for filling in while I was gone.

Well i finally got back on track and need to get this dash back together. I think i understand now where most of my wires go now but i have more questions. I orginally did not have a center console and now i want to put one in. I found the cigarette lighter wires, light bulb and a black ground wire.

Where does the ground wire go? What do i do with the light now that i took out the bottom dash at/cl? I found a short blue wire male end plugged into the light blue elbow female end?? Huh. I know the elbow would plug into the lighter. Then where should the blue male end go?

Should i get the the wire kit for the console? I looked at a picture of it on CJ pony parts of this wire harness but it looks like it has a square connector within it along with some wires that would attach to my cigarette wires. Midlife, Danno?

Well i finally got back on track and need to get this dash back together. I think i understand now where most of my wires go now but i have more questions. I orginally did not have a center console and now i want to put one in. I found the cigarette lighter wires, light bulb and a black ground wire.

Where does the ground wire go? Plug it anywhere that is in the chassis.  What do i do with the light now that i took out the bottom dash at/cl? Didn't all of the consoles (whether AC or not) have a provision for a bulb?  Beat's me...I'm no expert here.  I found a short blue wire male end plugged into the light blue elbow female end?? Huh. I know the elbow would plug into the lighter. Then where should the blue male end go?  I think what you are describing is an extender harness for the cigarette lighter.  A male bullet fits into the 90* light blue/white wire, and if you follow the harness, it ends with the appropriate connector for the aft cigarette lighter in the console. 

Should i get the the wire kit for the console? I looked at a picture of it on CJ pony parts of this wire harness Got a link??  but it looks like it has a square connector within it along with some wires that would attach to my cigarette wires. Midlife, Danno?

I got it! Yeah.

I think someone may have had a console in it before because there are holes in the floor pan where would have attached. And i just found the end of a long wire that would reach the distance of a console lighter. Now that i found it ( all bunched up and tucked away) it looks like the end of it has an elbow plug to hook into the lighter and a ground wire.

I didnt see any location on the console where a light would go. The bulb is a 1893 bulb. It should have had a silver cover but is missing. Im guessing its the ashtray bulb for a standard ashtray. But it wont reach the length of the console. I just dont know where to put it and if its safe to use with the cover missing.

The only other wire i see loose is a yellow wire and blue wire connected to a black end. Im guessing its the radio wire. Which of those two wires is the power wire? I want to hook up an aftermarket radio. Since thats an entire different topic, I'm sure i can dig up some info on here about hooking one up. Thanks

Radio wiring is yellow/black for power and blue/red for lamp power.  Those connectors are two female from the underdash and two male pins from the radio. 

Yellow/blue is not a standard wire; it is sometimes used for horn outgoing power, but that couldn't be in 69/70.