Raven R code

Tech Tip: Red Oxide Primer

Talked to a body guy that restores old cars. He told me that the best Red Oxide primer is the one you can purchase at Tractor Supply. He said the ingredients are different (and much better) than what you can get at the auto supply shops. Apparently the government regulations allow farm equipment to use the better ingredients than what is available to the auto industry as far as paints and primers go.

Dave

Talked to a body guy that restores old cars. He told me that the best Red Oxide primer is the one you can purchase at Tractor Supply. He said the ingredients are different (and much better) than what you can get at the auto supply shops. Apparently the government regulations allow farm equipment to use the better ingredients than what is available to the auto industry as far as paints and primers go.

Dave

lol, yes, one of the ingredients is high levels of lead if i remember correctly . . they also discontinued one of the ingredients that they used in red colors.

Edited by barnett468

I don't think i'll mess around with lead! I will be stopping in to look at the ingredients.....will post another update.

ok, don't read the ingredients because you won;y use any paint or primer . . they switched from one formulae to a more environmentally one that had cyanide or something in it . . i kid you not . . it said so right on the label . . one of my friends rarely wore the special gear and got permanent nerve damage.

i used ppg solvent base red and add around 20% black primer to it.

I have been using Colar from Dupont ,it is an industrial epoxy and it is tougher than heck.It block sands if you start off with 150 grit first ,and bonds to bare metal ,especially if it has been blasted ,better than anything i have ever used .It is high build and two coats will cover all. It has a satin finish and looks much like the original red primer .The color i was using was discontinued and the replacement is called Red Wood and i like it .It is made for Imron and seems to work well with everything .img_1726-jpg.72266

ok, don't read the ingredients because you won;y use any paint or primer . . they switched from one formulae to a more environmentally one that had cyanide or something in it . . i kid you not . . it said so right on the label . . one of my friends rarely wore the special gear and got permanent nerve damage.

i used ppg solvent base red and add around 20% black primer to it.

Arsenic ,That's right,rat poison ! Our gov. decided lead was too toxic and replaced it with Arsenic.

Arsenic ,That's right,rat poison ! Our gov. decided lead was too toxic and replaced it with Arsenic.

Hey Ridge Runner, thanks for the correction...yeah that's WAY better than lead or cyanide . . Maybe they will eventually determine that Arsenic is bad for us and replace it with something even safer like Ricin.

OMG . . I think i just got a hernia!

smiley-laughing025.gif

Edited by barnett468

I don't think i'll mess around with lead! I will be stopping in to look at the ingredients.....will post another update.

Hello Raven R Code;

1. Don't drink your paint or smell the fumes or get it on you.

2. Do not lick you car (or tractor), or put Chinese made toys in your mouth.

"WASHINGTON, June 18 — China manufactured every one of the 24 kinds of toys recalled for safety reasons in the United States so far this year.

The latest recall, announced last week, involves 1.5 million Thomas & Friends trains and rail components.

The toys were coated at a factory in China with lead paint, which can damage brain cells, especially in children.

Just in the last month, a ghoulish fake eyeball toy made in China was recalled after it was found to be filled with kerosene.

Over all, the number of products made in China that are being recalled in the United States by the federal Consumer Product Safety Commission has doubled in the last five years.

It also means that China today is responsible for about 60 percent of all product recalls, compared with 36 percent in 2000."

Hey Ridge Runner, thanks for the correction...yeah that's WAY better than lead or cyanide . . Maybe they will eventually determine that Arsenic is bad for us and replace it with something even safer like Ricin.

OMG . . I think i just got a hernia!

smiley-laughing025.gif

Ah ,It's only poisonous if you drink more than a quart ...ever notice red tastes just like white? And blue tastes just like yellow?

"WASHINGTON, June 18 — China manufactured every one of the 24 kinds of toys recalled for safety reasons in the United States so far this year.

The latest recall, announced last week, involves 1.5 million Thomas & Friends trains and rail components.

The toys were coated at a factory in China with lead paint, which can damage brain cells, especially in children.

Just in the last month, a ghoulish fake eyeball toy made in China was recalled after it was found to be filled with kerosene.

Over all, the number of products made in China that are being recalled in the United States by the federal Consumer Product Safety Commission has doubled in the last five years.

It also means that China today is responsible for about 60 percent of all product recalls, compared with 36 percent in 2000."

Just as another fyi (while we are on the subject)......they are now finding children's toys and costume kid jewelry is being made with Cadmium....which is worse than lead and currently under the govt radar because it was never used like this before. Bottom line .....Don't buy chinese made products!

Just as another fyi (while we are on the subject)......they are now finding children's toys and costume kid jewelry is being made with Cadmium....which is worse than lead and currently under the govt radar because it was never used like this before. Bottom line .....Don't buy chinese made products!

Yes, but it's "safer" for the ozone layer...yes...no...maybe...kinda sorta...

.....Don't buy chinese made products!

+1 – although easier said than done. For as long as I can remember I’ve gladly paid extra for domestic made products. They are of better quality, safer, and the money is kept here. And there’s the satisfaction of not supporting an unrepentant tyrannical regime with a bloody record of human rights violations. When they change I’ll change.

I don't know if it's stereotyping or a lack of information but I can't believe how 100% anti Chinese some of you are, some way more than others and often on numerous threads, I just can't hold my tongue anymore. I work for a well respected athletic shoe company and just like almost all athletic shoes made a large portion come from China or Vietnam etc.

Using factories that are 100% compliant with all laws including fair labor and US Govt. regulations is the responsibility of the manufacturer not the factory, we are the ones that get sued when something goes wrong. My last 3 years were spent making Kids shoes and I can tell you that 100% of everything was tested by us extensively from harmful chemicals to choking hazards and as a result we pay more for it. Anyone tries to slip something by and it's one strike you're out, none of them want to lose our business and so a watchful eye is what it takes not total unchecked trust.

For those of you that can hold out and buy only American made I commend you, it is truly tough without very deep pockets. The shoe industry as a whole has been trying for decades to bring shoe making back to the USA. The problem is though as it always has been, every American even working the most menial task wants the highest pay yet want's to spend next to nothing for what they buy. That type of economy simply does not work. Probably also why most of those jobs go to illegal residents instead but hey everyone wants the crap jobs done still and even folks collecting unemployment and tapping everyone else's taxes think it's beneath them and don't want to do it.

Bottom line don't blame the factory, blame the manufacturer that sets and excepts poor standards for their product instead of finding a middle ground. How many of you would except half of what you or someone else would quote to do something and then turn out the same level of quality?

Here's more food for thought, crappy or not if foreign countries weren't making parts for our cars since the 80's where would our hobby be today? No one in the US was interested back then in making replacement parts for a 10 to 15 year old car. If that hadn't been there to save numerous cars would there be such an interest in US manufacturing today, 40 years later for a handful of survivors? It's easy to $h:t on them today but back then it was like manna from heaven. If you have a choice great but this shouldn't be a hobby for just the wealthy.

Edited by Pakrat