Sign in to follow this  
Topless69GT

Rocker trim

Anyone else used the reproduction rocker trim? I am trying to put mine on and it looks like crap? I wish they had the original Ford tooling ones available. Anyone have a nice original set? Also looking for the drivers side interior "A" pillar trim for a convertible. Need a nice one.

Is the trim the same for a fastback as convertible? I have a set off of my fastback, I am guessing them to be original, not sure, can check. I have no plans of using and had planned on selling. I have several parts I plan on selling but never have time to mess with. Not sure if they would be considered nice either. If I remember right, they are not all dinged up, just need polished up. Assuming they are stamped on the inside, right?

The repops are a much thinner metal and they don't fit flush against the car. The front part that curves a tiny bit is not present.

Exactly. A small but critical detail inexcusably missed by the reopo manufacturer (Dynacorn in my case). The resultant gap at the front where the molding does not fit the curvature of the fender at the wheel well looks terrible. Had to settle for NOS, at $400 for the pair.

by chance, do you still have your measurements of the thickness of each?

Sorry, I tossed my repops and bought some OEM. There seemed to be about a 25% difference in thickness and in weight. The OEMs feel heavier and don't feel like if they are held from one end they will crease in the middle. The repops feel like they would bend in half if I sneezed on them. The lack of the curve on the front end is very noticeable.

Sorry, I tossed my repops and bought some OEM. There seemed to be about a 25% difference in thickness and in weight. The OEMs feel heavier and don't feel like if they are held from one end they will crease in the middle. The repops feel like they would bend in half if I sneezed on them. The lack of the curve on the front end is very noticeable.

I have some pics comparing the repop I got from NPD versus my original. I'm assuming it was the original based on the fact the car was last registered in 83, it sat for about 11 years till I got it in 94.

b5103482-5353-4ef0-bfc7-5d129c33ccdf.jpg

Thickness of the original was about 32 mils.

f59b9ca1-22ce-498d-95d1-f5555962a6f2.jpg

Thickness of the repop from NPD was about 32 mils. If anything it was slightly thicker than the original.

1e43cee3-e50f-42c1-9905-87e2d2a3e494.jpg

comparing the curved end (assuming this is what you are talking about) illustrates a slight difference.

bee2bb17-fd5a-4c38-a23c-4f2e86971dd1.jpg

the repop on my car.

ab2040b2-dfef-4902-a8e6-75f38b4381e0.jpg

321b3a99-3320-491f-a6d5-487bd60f93a0.jpg

I had read all of the same complaints awhile ago that were stated in this thread, so I too was looking for NOS. Originals were all trashed and scratched up NOS was in excess of $400 a piece (for ones I found). So based on time and price ($60 versus $400), I gave the NPD supplied parts a shot. I apparently got very lucky and thought they fit well. I'm sure a nicely restored set of originals or perfect NOS would be optimal, but these were just fine for me. I don't know where NPD gets their parts or if all vendors are supplying the same part. Perhaps I got lucky and got one of the first parts off the tooling.

Those sure look original to me. Those fit perfectly against the body. I know NPD used to have a large stock of NOS parts and would often send them off without charging extra. I've seen them advertise this for specific parts when they are nearly out of stock of NOS. I think this is a much more rare occurrence as their NOS stock has been used up.

Either that or NPD has a very special manufacturer sourcing these. I can't remember where I got mine from. I do know that if there is higher quality repop on the market NPD will sell it. You get what you pay for from them.

The repops are the same for the earlier years ,they look good but do not fit quite right .

The 65-68 rocker trim will dent very easy just trying to snap them in place .The thickness seems about the same ,i think they are using a lower grade aluminum than the original.