Sign in to follow this  
Stang-up

Steering wheel removal

Guys I could really use some help! I've been trying to remove and replace my steering wheel on my 69 fastback and can't seem to get it to pull free. I even used W-D40 near where the wheel slides onto the holding rod. Bugger won't budge with a steering wheel puller. Am I missing something?

This is what I made that works perfect. The 2 bolts on each end bolt into the wheel openings, I think they are a 5/16 fine thread. The bolt in the center has a opening in the large plate large enough so the threads in the center bolt will not grab it. I used a plate of steel about 3 inches long, by 1 inch wide. The threads on the center bolt grab the small plate under it. You can use just a standard nut instead of the small plate, but you need to keep it from spinning.

The you back off the center bolt and install it on the wheel using the bolts at each end of the large plate. Then start tighening the center bolt, so it effectively pushes down on the center shaft of the wheel. Works every time, I have removed a lot of wheels with it.

It sounded to me like he was already using a puller. If not you can also borrow one from a parts store like Auto Zone for free. They actually have a lot of one use tools they loan, almost makes up for the lack of knowledgeable employees.

Thanks guys! I tried with a wheel puller I bought off eBay and I don't the bolts quite fit. Went by autozone today and got their steering wheel puller with the 5/16 thread bolt. Crossing my fingers this thing works. Will update you later today. Again, much appreciated fellas! Special thanks Danno for the pic!

Sweet victory!!!!! Man that thing was hard to remove! I had to use a little leverage to get it free. I guess after 45 years it didn't want to part with the rest of the car. Putting on the new one tomorrow after a little fresh paint on the steering column. Thanks again!