Sign in to follow this  
Lil John SVT

Manual Or Power Rack

does CPP make a power steering kit for the 69 stang?

as far as i know, they make a box for the 65-67 stang (6566PSK-SB) and sell the borgeson kit for the models with 1 1/8" sector shaft (99902X).

did i miss something?

Looks like I'm outnumbered here too, But I switched out my power steering setup to a Unisteer power rack and have no regrets, I,m running a 351 with T5 tranny and the installation and added room make it a breeze to work on. I think I lost some of my turning radius, but not sure cause I changed tire size,and the unisteer pump makes too much noise, but the overall drivability is much greater than my old setup. And it dosen't leak fluid.

I'm gonna get a rebuilt steering box and go from there. The car is sitting because I can't drive it. The more it sits the more I lose intrest in it. So I'll give the factory set up a shot. I know it won't drive like newer vehicles. But anything is better than what I have.

I got numerous things to fix on the car. The previous owners didn't do any up keep at all. And by swapping the I6 for a 351w and deciding a serpentine belt set up was better, that opened other problems. So I'll have to do piece by piece til she's road worthy again.

I have the unisteer manual rack and pinion. It is not too bad to steer as I have a small block however the rack has play in it which pisses me off. And I do notice that the turning radious is not that great either. It also is very slow to steer which I assume is to make it easier to steer. However if you are in a slide it can get interesting trying to steer into it fast enough to keep going in a straight line. In the future I plan on installing electronic power steering pending some research of course.

I wouldn't waste time and money on the original setup unless you are building a car for show and are looking to be judged. There just is no comparison of a stock system to a good rack setup. My rack system uses a "J" car GM rack ~$100 from Napa. Yes there is a little turning radius loss but It doesn't bother me because 99% of the time I'm using the car, I'm not trying to turn lock to lock. Ask yourself this, how many new cars are using the ram system vs. a rack? Steering boxes use worm gears which have high wear. I will never own another Mustang without doing this conversion. Also, it is reversable if you ever sell the car and someone wants to change it back for God knows why.

My two cents,

Jim