Sign in to follow this  
rharden

Ford Top Loader Parts Question.

I've got a Ford top loader four speed that I would like to rebuild. I disassembled the trans and looked at the syncros and gears. Some of the parts should be replaced, along with the seals, bearings and gaskets. I started looking at parts on the internet and see many different prices. I notified several sellers and the cheap ones come from China. The sellers say these parts are fine and they have no complaints. Has anyone rebuilt a top loader lately and where did you buy your parts? Did anyone use Chinese parts? I'm an old Ford mechanic and I know the top loader fairly well. I just want decent parts. Thanks.

+2

I have bought all my toploader parts from Mark at Toploader Heaven. I have rebuilt quite a few that past 8 years and Mark sells top notch parts.

I will say its been a while since I have contacted him and I have seen others comment that he has been difficult to get ahold of or has not responded to emails. I hope things are okay for him.

I myself have no experience with the "chinese parts" so I cant comment from experience. For what its worth, I would not go to all the work to rebuild a toploader and try to save a couple bucks by using the Chinese parts.

If you have trouble reaching Mark, here is another source for good USA made toploader parts Dan Williams Top-Loaders phone 828-524-9085

Thanks everyone. I've been calling around to all the major top loader parts dealers and rebuild shops I found on Google and EBay. I found that most of these businesses sell/use gears, syncros and rebuild kits that are not US made. Taiwan, China, Mexico, Korea and Japan are the most common countries that manufacture parts for the Ford top loader. I was surprised. A few items are US made, I was told, but not what these items were. All the dealers I spoke with claimed to have very good luck with the parts they sell. I don't know what to think now. How do I choose Taiwan gears over Chinese?

I didn't get to talk with Dan Williams. No one would answer.

Edited by rharden

+3 for Toploader Heaven. Great to deal with. Awesome followup and you can't go wrong with Mark. He's built his reputation around the toploader so he isn't going to sell you inferior parts that are destined to fail early.

...John

+3 for Toploader Heaven. Great to deal with. Awesome followup and you can't go wrong with Mark. He's built his reputation around the toploader so he isn't going to sell you inferior parts that are destined to fail early.

...John

I talked with Mark today. Nice guy. He did tell me most everything he sells comes from Taiwan. He said beware of the Chinese and Mexican parts. Many of those trans parts are not as good as what he sells, or the Taiwan made. He mentioned something about the nickel content in the steel. Another high ranked seller/builder said he sells parts from China and has no complaints. I talked to another dealer that said he uses only bearings made in Japan, gears made in Korea and India. Maybe everything available is good. It just depends on who's selling them and what there story is.

Thanks barnett468. I tried the link, but their web site is down, under construction. I'll keep checking. Never heard of these people. Are they a gear manufacturer or a distributor? I'll write to them. Thanks again.

no prob, you're welcome . . just call them, if they do not have it and can not get it, it likely does not exist . . they know pretty much all the secret hiding places for gear stuff if they don't have it on their shelf, lol.

PHONE

(714) . .778 -1103

(800) 477-1103

FAX

(714) 778-1733

Edited by barnett468