Sign in to follow this  
mustangmike6996

Refinishing the Lower dash....

I am kind of kicking around the idea of doing all of the parts semi-gloss black. I have used Rustoleums plastic paint on a few things and had good results. I completely forgot that I sprayed the inner wheel wells of my F150 (tried to hid the silver) and it has taken 6000 miles of abuse with no chipping etc. I might actually go that route.

It might work fine. Be cautious of application thickness. One reason SEM and other interior paints work well is because the thin film thickness they are applied at. It doesn't effect the texture on the surface. Also, the lower dash is not easy to repaint later on after it's installed.

Did Ford offer different black interiors, some with metallic and some without? In this thread is the first I have seen the metallic black paint on interior panels. It's not the first time if I missed something. I've never physically seen metallic black finish on original factory interiors.

I had a black jade 69 CJ with dark green interior, even the Dark green had metallic paint The dash was black metallic.The metallic showed very easily on the back side of the pieces . I have seen dashes that don't have metallic paint ,like my current 69 .Both of my cars were from San Jose so i don't know they were different .

Did Ford offer different black interiors, some with metallic and some without? In this thread is the first I have seen the metallic black paint on interior panels. It's not the first time if I missed something. I've never physically seen metallic black finish on original factory interiors.

I can only speak for my car. I may still have a plastic front seat back in the attic (didn't use because it was cracked).

this was the metal piece that forms the rear seat back compared to an aftermarket panel with a black edp coating. this was definitely an unmolested original. paint was applied very thin on this piece. probably since it wasn't seen.

IMG_2631.jpg~original

closeup of that panel.

IMG_2630.jpg~original

some interior pieces against a black bracket.

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg~original

the same piece after stripping and applying black epoxy followed by the dark charcoal metallic.

IMG_0649.jpg~original

compare this 52 mile original mach 1 (photo 15 of 20) to mine which I had sprayed using 32586.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/mump-1002-1969-ford-mustang-mach-1/photo-gallery/#15

IMG_3158.jpg