Sign in to follow this  
bluoval

1969 gas cap swap

trying to change up the look of the rear of 69. Does anyone know if the 71-73 pop open cap directly fits the 69 opening. saw a pic of a 71 cap located on the rear quarter, kind of eleanor style and it looked nice. thanks!

You would have to swap the gas cap base since the 71-73 has a flat taillight panel & the 69 is curved.

I didnt swap the base. If you currently have a 69 gas-cap and you plan to switch to one without the curved base, you have have indentations in the paint in the 69 gas cap touched the paint anywhere.

I have a 71-73 Mach 1 gas cap on my 69 that I installed after fresh paint. The only issue is the key fitting into the key cylinder. I had slightly shave the head of the key so it didnt hit the gas cap. I have a trunk pop so I the key isnt really used anyway, and I have a separate key for the ignition.

5688240250_large_zpsaf4e932f.jpg

Now THAT is cool. I've swapped parts between a '69 and '67 but thought the '71+ caps were off limits. Never occurred to me you don't HAVE to have a base. Shows how little I know about '71-3 cars I guess.

Nice work. A little different without being radical.