Sign in to follow this  
mustang1969

omg.....going insane

the shaft doesnt have teeth to adjust ,its just notched and can be turned 2 ways-up,down,the rod seems to long and im not sure what trans came out of put its a 1975 trans just not sure what from number on trans is d50p-7006-aa

The shaft that the arm is on has splines, you can't see them from the out side, in order to index the shaft you have to remove the bottom pan on the transmission and remove a nut on the inside of the transmission case. This is why I suggested modifying the rod it is better than going into the transmission.

If the FX was working correctly and your problems started after putting the C4 in then it has to be the shifter arm on the transmission not set exactly right.

Looking at the 2nd picture you posted of the shifter arm on the transmission with lever in park position it looks close to being to far rearward for the shifter handle inside the car to pull it into park properly. It just looks to far back and even modifying a shifter rod may never work correctly either. Your only alternative may be indexing the shaft one spline forward. Sorry you are having all these problems and sorry if I have confused you but it is sometimes hard to explain what one is talking about.

Dave

are you positive its splined?

I am sure the shaft has splines, the only thing I don't know is can it be indexed one spline at a time? I would talk to someone who knows the C4 and ask him what your options are. There could even be different shaft and arm assembly's

for the C4 but the one that you have on there now looks like the mustangs.

Before I did anything I would look at a 69 with a C4 and see what the relation ship is between one that is working and yours, that way you can be sure that this is the problem. I don't see what could be the problem other than the arm not in correct position but without seeing it in front of me I can't be 100% sure.

Dave

You could also try to get someone with a 69 with C4 in it to snap a picture with it in park position and compare it to yours.

Dave

As luck would have it, there is a thread now that a member has started T5 speedo question that is converting from a C4 to T5, if he still has this C4 i bet he would snap a picture of it in the park position for you.

Edited by det0326

Not saying I know the answer but from experience years ago with a column shifted C6 they can have different arms for column vs floor shifted. The column shifted arms are shorter on C6. I thought it was just a linkage issue, lengthen my shift arm and found the shifter pattern no longer matched the trans positions. Just saying.

This pic is from a tail shaft vented C4 in my storage, 90% positive it is from floor shifted and it appears to me the top arm is longer? About 2.5" in the pic from center to center. The bottom arm is for park lockout. Just another reference.

6943f305899771367a552b85a3b709e5_zps0714923b.jpg

Stephen

MUSTANG69:

I hope I can shed some light on your problem.

First of all I checked my 69 with a 302 and when in Park there is a gap between the edge of the servo cover and the right edge of the shift lever. I would guesstimate in and around 3/4" bearing in mind I was laying under my car and not on a hoist.

If , lets say your lever is 'clocked' at 2:00 then mine is clocked at 01:00..a noticeable difference from the pic you posted as it appears your lever is too far rearward and appears to overlap that servo cover.

Second: The part number you listed for your shift rod is correct for your application. Part number C9ZA-7326-D. Fits C4, 6 and 8 cylinder 66-69 and is 17" long ( this info according to my Ford microfiche (pronounced microfish)

Thirdly: The shift lever you have Part # D5DP-7A256-AA is from a 75 Mercury. That shift lever has a 1 7/8" center to center measurement.

I believe the lever you need is this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-69-Mustang-C4-Transmission-Manual-Shift-Lever-/141339812522?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20e88262aa&vxp=mtr

You might want to email them and see if theirs is different in the center to center length.

That's what I think your problem is ...the shift lever.

And no, they are not splined. They have a square flat on the inside for the 'rooster comb' detent that goes on to it with a large nut...one way only. The kick down lever comes out through it and it too has a flat on the outside for the lever to go on. The outside lever can be changed just like that....from the outside.

I would be locating a shift lever and detent kickdown lever from a 69ish mustang. Dropping the pan and the valve body is necessary .

Hope this helps.....John

MUSTANG69:

I hope I can shed some light on your problem.

First of all I checked my 69 with a 302 and when in Park there is a gap between the edge of the servo cover and the right edge of the shift lever. I would guesstimate in and around 3/4" bearing in mind I was laying under my car and not on a hoist.

If , lets say your lever is 'clocked' at 2:00 then mine is clocked at 01:00..a noticeable difference from the pic you posted as it appears your lever is too far rearward and appears to overlap that servo cover.

Second: The part number you listed for your shift rod is correct for your application. Part number C9ZA-7326-D. Fits C4, 6 and 8 cylinder 66-69 and is 17" long ( this info according to my Ford microfiche (pronounced microfish)

Thirdly: The shift lever you have Part # D5DP-7A256-AA is from a 75 Mercury. That shift lever has a 1 7/8" center to center measurement.

I believe the lever you need is this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-69-Mustang-C4-Transmission-Manual-Shift-Lever-/141339812522?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20e88262aa&vxp=mtr

You might want to email them and see if theirs is different in the center to center length.

That's what I think your problem is ...the shift lever.

And no, they are not splined. They have a square flat on the inside for the 'rooster comb' detent that goes on to it with a large nut...one way only. The kick down lever comes out through it and it too has a flat on the outside for the lever to go on. The outside lever can be changed just like that....from the outside.

I would be locating a shift lever and detent kickdown lever from a 69ish mustang. Dropping the pan and the valve body is necessary .

Hope this helps.....John

Well John I stand corrected, sorry for misleading you mustang1969.

All the exploded parts views I have looked at it appears the shaft is splined.

Dave

Hey Dave no problem. I'm sure we can all put our thinking caps on here and help him out. You were probably thinking of the splines that the detent lever goes into on the inside.

Hopefully he gets it ironed out soon.

Best regards....john

and your saying center to center on the arm on mine is 1 7/8,i just searched and found a site saying its 2 7/8,3-11/64" FD-C4F-7A-002H-AF Price Picture

not

available D5OP-AA Neutral switch slots

Hole = 7/16"

2-7/8" centers

Bent out 1/2"

Oval logo

Diamond G

No notches

Thanks Protowrxs and Rcodenewf,Rcodenewf when you say center to center your talking about center where shift rod mounts to center of shaft?

No, that's the arm you have and from your pic it looks like D5DP...not D5OP...correct me if I am wrong.

And yes, center to center of the shift rod hole and the center of the shaft where it enters the tranny.

John

"and your saying center to center on the arm on mine is 1 7/8,i just searched and found a site saying its 2 7/8,3-11/64" FD-C4F-7A-002H-AF"

No, that's the arm you have and from your pic it looks like D5DP...not D5OP...correct me if I am wrong.

And yes, center to center of the shift rod hole and the center of the shaft where it enters the tranny.

John

mustang1969: I just went out and pulled the lever back into 1st. While under it (not much room) it looks like the lever hole is directly above the forward bolt holding the neutral safety switch on. If I were to take a guess the lever hole would be roughly 1 1/8" above that bolt.

I have another C4 out in the shop. I think it is from a 70 but i'll check it. Definitely came out of a mustang. I'll see where the lever is positioned on that one. Should get to it tomorrow. I have to move some heavy stuff. (parts)

John

Ok so I just bolted my early 69 c4 (Manufactured in 68) to a Ford Racing 306 which they use new 5.0 blocks. When I did that I was having trouble getting the correct flex plate (50oz balance vs 28oz). And what I learned is that the bell housing changed right around 73 on C4s. So I wonder if the problem is that the bell housing on a 1975 is shorter than a 69/70.

Below is that thread. Midway through there is a chart Wycked69 posted with part numbers that show the number of teeth on the flex plate changed (and the 164 teeth flexplates are an inch bigger in diameter than the 157 tooth plates from 69, so what else changed?). Any chance you can get a rod from a 75 vehicle?

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=15532