Sign in to follow this  
Raven R code

windshield moulding retainer studs

Does anyone have a source for the little flat head studs that the moulding clips attach too? I dont have a stud gun so I am hoping to drill small holes and push the studs into the metal and weld from the backside.

Dave

I used the screw in type on my rear windows in the 1/4 panel area (the 4 that goes up each side of the backlite). I found them on ebay but I took a quick look just now and did not see any for a 69 or 70 but they are on there occasionally.

Not sure if the mustang after market distributors has them are not. They have the end that looks like a sheet metal screw and the head is like the stud head and the threads don't go all way so that they stop at the right height. You just drill a pilot hole and screw it in. If you can get to the back side you could weld it if you desire to. I just put sealer on mine and screwed them in.

Dave

You can get the screw in type at most body shops. I have also purchased the ones from ebay and they work just fine. (see attached link)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-1968-1969-Camaro-Firebird-Window-molding-clip-stud-kit-10-pieces-/330899674133?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d0b285415&vxp=mtr

They have a small shoulder that bottoms against the sheet metal when you screw it to the metal just like the original style. Make sure you drill the correct hole size. Not much sheet metal to bite into.