Sign in to follow this  
'70MACH1

351C over heating

I have a heating problem with the new motor. It came stock with a 22inch 2 core radiator' date=' which I replaced with a 4 core 24 inch. I have a flowcooler high volume water pump and a new pusher fan with 1400 cfm's. Without the pusher fan it runs with needle pegged. When I turn on the fan it runs about 85% hot. I've had this car 35 years and has always run hot but not this hot. Last night I took it out about 10pm when it was cool outside and still the same thing. The upper hose was really hot and the lower one was just hot. I had taken the the thermostat out and it still hot. I did the pan of boiling water to check and it was fine. It is the one came with the water pump. Should I be looking at a cross flow radiator? As always any help would be greatly appreciated![/quote']

I just went through this on my mod motor, with little room for a rad. I have an old school up and down flow.A pusher fan is 20% less than a puller fan by what the majority of the internet says. The best fan to get is a ford Taurus fan. Then 38 dollar fan at pick n pull destroyed my 300 dollar flex-a-lite.

Here was my testing:

Radfantestinginmustang_zps50707522.jpg

This solved my cooling issues I had. Now i can control a constant degree to what I set it to.

This may help you out, may not. You could also run a secondary rad. I have a small one under the car to get my correct surface area. for example a bugatti veyron has 5 rads to keep the temps down. I know that it isn't correct way, but if you are too small, your too small. I know I was too small. lol

Edit: If you do a fan in front of the rad and have a fan on the back (stock or aftermarket) the front has to be equal or greater cfm. If it is lower cfm it will cause more issues than without one.

Edited by Rip Rock

The fan needs to be 1/2 way in the shroud. If not it will not pull air through the radiator effervescently. Longer spacer is required to move the fan closer to the radiator.

I put a 1 inch longer spacer on the car but that made things worse. I was told by a mechanic that it needs to be closer to the edge of the shroud otherwise it won't pull enough. Clutch fan next and back to the stock spacer.

Interesting, how close was the fan to the radiator mate ? If the blades Were to close yes it wont work. Maybe try 1/2 inch spacers, did you try the temp gun on your motor to see how it is getting? How long has the radiator been in the car, maybe get a shop to flush it out. Also did you say you have a pusher fan in front of the radiator mate, maybe thats restricting air flow at low speed. Also do you have an old fixed blade fan, maybe the new fan its not pulling the air properly at low speed.

Could your issue stem from your .044" oversize bore? As I understand it, taking a 351 C bore over .040 is a recipe for issues due to the inherently thin cylinder walls. Mine has been bored .030 over, forged flat top pistons, 71 4V closed chamber heads that have been shaved to 60 cc combustion chambers, with my Manley S.S. super duty valves installed, to achieve 10.5:1 CR with a standard thickness head gasket. How did you get 11.5:1 CR? What heads / gaskets and pistons are you running? Just curious?

Sorry it took so long to get back to this but have been real busy. Ok after doing more research I decided against the clutch fan, but I did buy a 6 bladed flex fan. It was little longer blade so I had to adjust the radiator to make it work. Not much difference. I'm trying all the cheap fixes first. Next will try the wrecking hard for a taurus puller fan. Ok 69gunslinger here's the break down. I went with custom pistons because it was already 40 over and I wanted bore as little as possible.

Arias pistons

Comp roller cam #32-246-4

Dur @ .230/236

Lift .562/.565

Comps "Ultra Pro Magnum" roller rockers #1830-16

Bore 4.044

Head gasket .040

Stroke 3.5 Deck 0-.005

Rod 5.780 offset pin

Comp height 1.645

Held 63cc

Dome 1.3cc