Sign in to follow this  
970fizz

Best fitting hood ?

I need a hood for my 70, I've been looking around at all the hoods out there. Should I buy an OEM tooling hood? Does it make that big of a difference from a non OEM tooling hood?

Who has bought hoods? From where? Did it fit well?

Thanks for any info

If you can find OEM tooling, get it. Even then, it is not a guarantee that it will fit. These cars were designed with a 5 year lifespan and nobody ever thought in their wildest dreams that these cars would still be on the road 50 years later. The parts, OEM or otherwise, fit or don't, based on how much your car has twisted and contorted over the years. Shock towers sag, frames bend, doors sag, etc. Our 69s were like 18 year old girls back in 1969; Firm, proud breasts that did not require a bra and everything was in place. 50 years later, our cars are like 70 year old women. Everything sags

My brother purchased the 69-70 hood from CJ's that is advertised as made from ford Tooling for his restoration. I must say I was impressed with the fit. It did not "rise" along the fender gap much at all as I expected it to.

Thanks for the info,

Cj's is on back order for OEM tooling

But mustang unlimited is running a deal on

One. Maybe I'll pick that up.

Anyone have good or bad to say about mustang unlimited stuff?

I've order many times from Mustangs Unlimited and NEVER had a bad experience.

I bought a Blue Thunder Intake from them several years ago ($$$), it was back ordered by the manufacturer for several months. (MU kept me advised of this) When it finally arrived it had a crack inside.

I sent a photo to MU to show the crack and to also show it had not been installed. I talked with customer service. They sent me a replacement and a ship ticket to send the defective one back. NO Hassle !

Bought a repop From Johns Mustang it was some chinese production hood but fit my 69 pretty damn well with minimal rise in the middle.

I cant recall seeing more than a handfull of mustangs in my life that did not have the rise in them lol