Sign in to follow this  
Glenn83

Borgeson p/s question

Just a quick question for the guys who have done the borgeson conversion. What need to be done to the steering column, I read somewhere that some of it has to be cut??

And has anyone used one of these mustang steve bearings??http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121271442536

The reason I ask is I have my column all pulled apart ready to rebuild it and before I get it powder coated I would like to have it all ready to go.

Rom what I have read, have not installed one, there is not cutting required of the column. The steering shaft is "collapsed" into the column, meaning the lower plastic retainers or broken so the lower shaft slides on the upper.

Sorry i did not have an "After" picture, but attached is a "Before" picture. Circled in Red is the plastic i removed and steering column i trimmed.

First I had to removed the steering column from the car. Then i removed the white plastic piece from the column. After that i used a cutting wheel to trim some of the column on the engine side of the firewall, this allowed the steering box coupler to move freely.

Edited by b1002

Thant setup is for converting to rack&opinion

Bob

^^^This. The Borgeson website says to tap the collapsible column up to make room for the larger steering box.

Bob