Sign in to follow this  
70fastbak

Removing front shocks and springs

Hey guys just a quick question here, im hoping to go in the garage this afternoon and do some work on the car.

Im hoping to get all the front suspension out today

There is no motor or tranny in the car so there is no weight really.

My question is can I just loosen the lower shock mounting nuts the way it sits?

Or is all the pressure of the spring on the shock because of having no weight and the shock being fully extended.

It doesn't look like there is any kind of stop on the upper arm that its resting on so im thinking its the fully extended shock that keeping the spring under pressure.

I don't want to loosen the lower shock nuts and have the thing come flying around my garage.

I cant jack up the lower control arm as soon as I put any pressure on it with the jack the car lifts because of being no weight.

I too removed my springs with engine and tranny weight off car. The best and most safe way is with a spring compressor of course but I didn't have one handy at the time. I removed my shocks without any problems but I did have the weight sitting on the wheels tho. I had my fenders off at the time and ran a chain thru the center where the shocks go then jacked the car up using the frame rail to release pressure off the control arms

and the chain caught the spring but to my surprise it didn't come flying out with a lot of pressure as you would think. That being said I don't think I would try it with fenders on though. This was just me though you do it at your own risk. Is also a good idea to put a chain thru the spring even if using a compressor just incase the worst happens.

Dave

Edited by det0326

Disconnect the top of the shocks and see if you can get the top shock mount out

Get in the engine compartment and stand on the frame if you have to.

If not just carefully unbolt the lower shock with the cars weight on the tires and you should be fine.

Do the inner one first and the outer one can be done with a wrench and your hands will not be in the way of anything

Bob

I need to do this soon, but with the engine in. Should I take the fenders off?

Engine in is easy

You can take the fenders off if you were going to take them off anyway but I would not take the fenders off just to do this.

The car was designed to have all the suspension out with the body together no problem.

My advice to anyone that is going to do a suspension rebuild is to pressure wash the hell out of that area of the car while it is still together as that will make it easier.

Either take it to a coin op place and just crank the wheels back and forth for the best access you can get. Or if you have your own pressure washer then pit the car on stands in the driveway and take the front wheels off and go for it.

Getting the gunk out of there will make the job much easier

Bob

No need to remove fenders.

For the OP as well - Undo the top bolts on your shocks first. If they pop up even a little, you are good to go with the lower bolts. The SPRINGS are far stronger than the shocks, so it is possible - (though unlikely) that in the unsprung condition with the engine and tranny out, the springs may be hanging the shocks out at full range of travel. DO THIS WITH THE WHEELS ON THE GROUND.

If your shocks are tight with the top bolts free, then either jack up the lower arm until the shock is "loose' , or put some weight on the cross member to compress the spring. You can then remove the lower shock bolts with no danger of the spring pulling the bolts

The springs are always a hazard to remove. Please take precautions and with stock springs you will almost certainly need a spring compressor. Lowered springs often are loos enough with the wheel hanging that they can be levered out easily. (Same deal when installing lowered springs)

Worth checking to see if the spring perch rubber has collapsed too. If 'yes' then worth changing out the spring perches at that point too. Rubber works for me, but urethane is popular. Many folks love the roller spring perches, but I have not had them and have heard from a few they make for a harsh rid

No you can replace springs with fenders on. In my post as I said I don't believe I would attempt with fenders on I was talking about putting a chain through the spring with a little slack and let the spring pop out on its own

as opposed to using a spring compressor because I did not have one handy. Sorry for any confusion. Always exercise safety and use a good spring compressor. I've being know to take risks in a bind.

Dave

No you can replace springs with fenders on. In my post as I said I don't believe I would attempt with fenders on I was talking about putting a chain through the spring with a little slack and let the spring pop out on its own

as opposed to using a spring compressor because I did not have one handy. Sorry for any confusion. Always exercise safety and use a good spring compressor. I've being know to take risks in a bind.

Dave

Please dont take risks with the coil spring removal. These dang things are under a lot of pressure and should be treated as a loaded weapon would be. If you dont have a spring compressor "handy", got to your local parts chain and they will "loan" you one.

PS: I have seen a coil get unleashed and it stuck into a concrete block wall.:yes:

I cut my springs off....exhaust cutter or plasma cutter...leave shocks on till spring is destroyed...that will take some of the danger out ...you must have a internal spring compressor..not out side...i bought mine from northern tools..had to modify the ears to get back out of the spring when the spring is installed....pm me and we can talk your way through it without hurting anything..just did mine...also you need to take off the spring cover....

If you haven't done it yet, make sure to put a chain through the top of the shock tower through the spring and around the frame, then when it pops, it can't fly anywhere. I just did this with my Camaro, and I was very thankful that I did. The spring compressor slipped off, smashed my finger, and then just dangled by the chain. It's amazing how fast you get vertical from the floor when there is a loud crash by your face.