Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

Mini Starter Wire Question

I'm getting down to the wire (had to add that, Ha!) to getting the new motor and trans started. I picked up a High Torque Mini Starter from DB Electrical.

Attached is the instructions it came with. To me it looks like they have the wiring on the Solenoid backwards. Can someone confirm exactly how this is to be wired.

IMO, I think right of the Solenoid (when on the car) goes to the starter. They want you to take that wire and put it on the opposite side of the Solenoid (Left-side). The other wire coming from the Solenoid that they supply then should go to the Right side of the Solenoid.

Is that Correct!

FYI, if it matters, I have the one wire Alt. set up.

Thanks!

MiniStarter_zpse6ec0a87.jpg

I've got the same starter, their diagram is right. The mini starter has it's own solenoid so put the heavy starter wire directly on the battery, bypassing the OEM solenoid. You then use the OEM solenoid to only control the solenoid in the mini-starter.

Just spoke to DB Electrical, it doesn't matter what side of the big lug terminals on the Solenoid to use, as long as the Battery side is on the same side of the large starter wire and the small wire coming off of the starter solenoid is on the opposite side of the fender apron solenoid.

Maybe not for others, but the diagram threw me a curve.

Sorry, misunderstood the question, now I see what you're saying. Yes, conventionally the side closest the battery gets the (+) connection. But the solenoid is nothing but a big N/O switch, so it doesn't matter. their schematic is electrically correct, not mechanically

I think the problem with the diagram is perspective. If you image looking through the fender apron from the outside of the car (front of the car to the right in the diagram) then it is correct. Positive side of the battery to closest solenoid post and farther solenoid post to the starter, farthest from the front of the car (left side of the diagram).

A silly way to draw the diagram, I agree, but "correct".