Sign in to follow this  
Zipppo

Manual transmission pedals

I am looking at converting my 70 sportsroof with 351C and FMX to a 4 speed. The question is the pedals? I have a recollection of the 1970 and 69 model year pedals and cradle being different and not interchangeable. Also manual brakes -vs- power brake pedal portion is different. If one uses say 69 pedals and cradle will changing the Z bar to a 70 style make this work? I do not think so but it has been many years since I have done one of these and the memory is foggy on this. I just want to make sure I but the right parts and do not end up with stuff that I can not use then adding expense and frustration to the equation does not help.

Thanks in advance.

Zippo,

Check out this link to Mustang Steve's page about the brake pedals & the hangers.

http://www.mustangsteve.com/fyi_brakepedals/msFAQbrakepedals.html

I checked out Modern Driveline & they claim the clutch pedal they sell new will fit 69 or 70 & CJ Pony Parts web site states the pedal support for 69 is different from 70. Hope this helps.

Mike.

Unless you're changing your brake configuration, all you need to do is add a clutch pedal, spring and spring bracket to your existing pedal bracket.

Ummm...doesn't the wider brake pedal for the automatic (narrower pedal for manual transmissions) interfere with the clutch pedal?

Ummm...doesn't the wider brake pedal for the automatic (narrower pedal for manual transmissions) interfere with the clutch pedal?

The rest of,the pedal,is the same

Knock on the AT pad off and weld on the one from the manual and you have made a manual trans power brake pedal

Bob

I guess I needed to be more clear. What I mean is I will be swapping out the entire cradle with both the clutch and brake pedals as a unit removed from a manual transmission car. A total swap. I have heard the 1969 and 1970's are different is that the case? I do know power brake and manual brake are different. I will not be modifying the auto set up I have. I will remove that as a complete unit and store it away with all of the rest of the auto trans parts. Thanks.

Not sure why you would want to change your 70 pedal support, since its not needed. From Mustang Steve's pictures the 69 pedal support is different than the 70. The mounting holes and hardware around the steering column is different. If I were you I would remove your pedal support and install roller bearings. I had a FMX and converted to TKO. I have Mustang Steve's roller bearings installed in my original 70 pedal support, it was a good improvement. All I swapped out was the my manual brake pedal for the clutch and manual brake pedal set.

Part of what Alan_Mac is saying is; though there is a difference between 69 & 70 pedal supports, the pedal support is the same for each year regardless of brake or transmission configuration. Now if you want to build up a new one for manual trans and just swap them out as a unit, no problem, its just not necessary. Just make sure to buy a support for a 70.

I think there is a difference between manual & power brakes and nuts (or lack of) attached to the support. Power brake set up missing upper nuts? Can someone clarify?

Edited by RacerX
afterthought

Not sure why you would want to change your 70 pedal support, since its not needed. From Mustang Steve's pictures the 69 pedal support is different than the 70. The mounting holes and hardware around the steering column is different. If I were you I would remove your pedal support and install roller bearings. I had a FMX and converted to TKO. I have Mustang Steve's roller bearings installed in my original 70 pedal support, it was a good improvement. All I swapped out was the my manual brake pedal for the clutch and manual brake pedal set.

I was able to secure a correct 1970 manual transmission pedal setup. It was rebuilt with roller bearings. Very slick. So I read you converted to a TKO 5 speed. The more I think about it this might be a better way to go or maybe better yet a T5 swap as it will most likely be more cost effective. Any info as to where how much etc to acquire this stuff. I am in Souther California so more local the better as shipping adds to the cost but am open to shipping for the right parts and complete. Thanks

Great to hear you got the complete pedal set with bearings already installed. My TKO setup was sourced from Keisler. Super Sport is now selling the perfect fit kit. Also Libertys Gear is in the process of selling it. They are turn key kits and are expensive when compared to sourcing you own toploader or T5 conversion.

Great to hear you got the complete pedal set with bearings already installed. My TKO setup was sourced from Keisler. Super Sport is now selling the perfect fit kit. Also Libertys Gear is in the process of selling it. They are turn key kits and are expensive when compared to sourcing you own toploader or T5 conversion.

DO you by chance have the contact info on those sites or better yet a web address? Thank you.

I have no experience with Super Shift. http://shiftsst.com/ford

I have experience with Liberty's gear, they did the shift upgrade on my TKO. My experience is its worth every penny to get their TKO shift upgrade. It would be nice to source the shift upgraded Perfect fit TKO, with the Keisler designed mounting cross member from them. http://www.libertysgears.com/ Let us know what you find out. Alan

Edited by Alan_Mac