Sign in to follow this  
TimFF

New UK owner with a 69 Mach 1 FB S Code

Hi folks

Let me introduce myself and my 2nd Mustang. I’m Tim and live near Gatwick Airport here in England. I’ve been a petrolhead since I was about 2, riding bikes off road since I was 12 and been driving since 1 minute past midnight on my 17th birthday. I’ve had quite a few cars over the years ranging from old clunkers I struggled to keep roadworthy to nearly new BMWs with a Rolls Royce in the mix somewhere. Enough of me.

My new acquisition has featured before on this forum in March 2012, when it was acquired from Arizona and shipped to the UK.

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=11257

From what we know of the car it was built in San Jose on 13th February 1969, sold in Portland, Oregon in April (not sure if that was to the dealer or the customer) and at the moment there’s no history until February 2007 when it was sold from Trail in Oregon to Mesa Arizona as good base for a project. The Arizona owner then bought so much stuff for it that it filled the car and boot when Javed acquired it in 2012 – I have invoices which total nearly $9000… The Arizona owner never got the car finished so it was registered using the title supplied by the Oregon seller of 2007.

I’ve found a couple of email addresses in the paperwork, but one bounced and the other has gone unheeded it seems. I may try good ole snail mail, just in case the previous owners are interested.

It has / had no rust, and the only damage found was a good repair to the rear passenger quarter, which suggests it happened early on in its life and wasn’t a later bodge.

When acquired in the US it was in primer, and has now is Chrysler Intense Blue mica, with a gloss blackout on the hood. It’s not a concours job, but then I’d not want one for fear of damage at any point. I like clean cars, but concours isn’t something that I’m going to ever take part in. Originally it was Indian Fire red but I have no problem with its new colour. It looks rather like Guillaume69’s…

The engine was fired up just after its 45th birthday and sounds really quiet mechanically. Once it had the brakes all connected back up and a new PS pump fitted (the one with the car wasn’t the right one) Javed found the autobox worked fine with a fluid change and service.

Once it was MOT’d (our annual ‘roadworthiness’ test and required before being registered for the road) it was then a wait on the DVLA (the UKs Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) who have now assigned it a Manchester registration number – where’s the logic in that I wonder?

And now here it is in Sussex (south of London not far from Brighton) having travelled down on the back of a trailer (and that journey turned into a bit of an epic for the guy). Pity it arrived in the dark, the wet and a gale, Lovely. Having only driven the car briefly around an industrial estate in Scotland my next drive in a completely unfamiliar car was to get it into a 1970’s UK garage. It’s tight! I was rather worried to say the least.

It’s going to stay pretty much as it is – stock. It’s LED rear lights (this allows the UK required amber turn signals to stay behind red lenses) and side repeaters, although one job I need to do is connect up the rears; Javed ran out of time there as I wanted the car! It needs a couple of ‘anti-theft’ tricks adding to the electrics and I’m debating a stealth audio install but that won’t be until I’ve run it around a fair bit to decide if it’s worthwhile – I know I have the music of a 2.5†exhaust but I do like something in the background on long trips.

In the meantime I need to get used to being on the wrong side of the road again – it’s been over 30 years since my last 2 left hookers (funnily enough a 73 Mach 1 after a 76 Chevy Caprice Wagon – the clamshell one) and trying to keep the grin off my face.

And before anyone can say ‘this is worthless without pics’ may I introduce you to my 390CI of fun…

IMG_6310.jpg

IMG_6311.jpg

IMG_6312_np.jpg

IMG_6313_np.jpg

IMG_6314_np.jpg

IMG_6316.jpg

IMG_6317.jpg

IMG_6318.jpg

IMG_6321_np.jpg

IMG_6322_np.jpg

IMG_6323.jpg

IMG_6324.jpg

We are slightly patriotic too...

IMG_6334_np.jpg

welcome to the forum tim

Hi Javed

Isn't your signature photo missing a nice blue 69 Mach 1?

Interesting to see the responses to Kevans posts here v the MOCGB site, one reason I'm here too

Cheers

Tim

Hi Javed

Isn't your signature photo missing a nice blue 69 Mach 1?

Interesting to see the responses to Kevans posts here v the MOCGB site, one reason I'm here too

Cheers

Tim

yes tim gone but not forgotton,should have kept it and drove it over summer

Very nice, no excellent looking Mustang, I would be interested to hear of the comments you get having that hot rod cruizing the roads of England. Thanks for sharing. Oh, how much is gas there???

It is rather a head turner... By the time I'd backed it out of my garage for the first time I had an audience of 4. Yesterday it was on the drive and a guy going past literally slammed on his brakes and abandoned his car to run over and look at it. And on a little tunnel run (airport service roads have their uses) I had several kids at times shouting 'nice car mister!'. I was even spotted from the terminal by a member of another forum I'm on.

Fortunately it only seems to attract positive attention, it's definitely a literal head turner!

Gas (or petrol as us Brits know it) is currently around £1.33 per litre for 99 octane (the highest we can buy). A bit of maths (£-$, litres to US gallons) suggests that is around $8.50 per US gallon. We pay a lot for our fun!

Tim, very nice car and welcome from a fellow UK owner, here's my 70 Mach 1, just not as nice as yours!

Cheers, chris

Hi Chris

Yeah, I've seen your build threads and Round Up and wish I had a) a garage suitable and b) the skill and most importantly c) the patience...

2 I can acquire, the 3rd isn't something I can!

I'm sure yours will be as good in time, the K Code should inspire you to get there...

I'm likely to be in your area in August at Curborough (as a petrolhead I guess you've been there?) as a club official and hopefully my Mustang will be going too (unless the forecast is grim). Happy to drop in and show you Javeds work...

Very nice looking Mach I. Welcome to the forum and enjoy the attention.

Bob

Thanks Bob - at least it attracts unanimous positive attention rather than the mixed reactions given to Ferraris, Lamborghinis and the like.

The amount of info on this forum is huge, I've lost myself for hours in various threads and then the links off elsewhere...

Tim

Cheers Tim!

Your car look disturbingly like mine... Very nice color! I see you also have a DS4 or 5. How much do you like that car?

G

Hi Guillaume

Yes, Javed (GT350) spotted the similarity a while back didn't he?

The DS is actually the littlest DS - a DS3. It's a 90 bhp 1.6 turbo diesel which doesn't sound much but is actually the better town car than the Mini Cooper alongside as it's got low down grunt; the Mini needs more revs. It's softer than the Mini too (as a Citroen should be) so is much nicer on the motorway at high speeds. You sit quite high too. But the Mini invites you to thrash it always, it's like a road legal kart and a much better drivers car. My wife loves it but she likes the DS - if you get the difference in meaning.

cheers

Tim

This is a wonderful forum and very technical as well, which is just great! You can also find the stupid missing little part here, as most members are / have restored their cars and usually have plenty of stuff left over - just great!

DS 3 to 5 are very good looking little cars and the sporty versions are wicked! Too bad they are not exported to the US, as people here start getting into those smaller vehicules. Lots of Mini Coopers, new Fiat 500s and I even see Smarts sometimes (not my favorite, I must admit...) And I leave in NW Florida, so not exactly your typical urban area!

Take care!