Sign in to follow this  
Raven R code

Deluxe instrument cluster

Does anyone know if they make black (original style) overlays for the dash gages? Over the year mine have become heat stressed and look somewhat melted. This would mainly be for the fuel and temperature gage located in the outside of the cluster(temp on the left and fuel on the right).

Thx Dave

I dont think I ever saw a deluxe cluster with anything but a woodgrain bezel much less a tach cluster. I guess you could remove the vinyl and paint one easy enough or even find some suitable black pattern in DiNoc and recover it.

Mike, if I am reading his post correctly he is asking about overlays for the gauges not for the panel. No I have not seen overlays for the stock gauges in black.

Mike.

Sorry, I guess I missed that. So OP is looking for refacing gauges? I know they have white decals and Scott Drake has electro luminescent set.

If the temp has got so hot its melted and wrinkled the plastic face pf the gauge, I would guess thats a tach panel that some time in its life has been plugged in to a non-tach car.

Edited by miketyler

Hi Mike,

It's a low mile car that is all original....never had any parts swapped in it. It's just heat damage during storage (been stored since 1995). Just looking for either overlays for original look or new gauges. I have a non-tach deluxe cluster set (both sides) could trade for a tach set if anyone is interested. The setup came off a car in 1973.

Hi Dave - the 69-70 are unique and I dont think 71-73 are compatible. When you mentioned the temp was outboard of the main cluster I assumed you were talking about a tach panel.

Would you have pics of your setup?

00707_akxxT0eaN4D_600x450.jpg

Tachman.

http://www.tachman.com/ford.htm

I have dealt with him once, and he did a reprint on my speedo, and replaced the heat damaged oil pressure gauge. He was fast, courteous and very reasonable pricing. Small business, and I spoke with him a couple of times. Nice guy, does good work.

He also has the solutions for most Ford Mustang instrument problems.

Kind of the Chockostang of instruments?

Yup - my bad....seem to be doing that alot lately. Knowing what we are talking about now leads me to advise on Tachman or find replacement gauges. I have a tach panel at Instrument specialties now getting the temp gauge refaced for just that reason.

Yup, they were the most reasonable. I surfaced the slightly melted gauge face and they quoted $75 to paint, reface and screen print. And another tidbit - the rare temp gauge for tach panel can be made easily from an ALT gauge housing and a stock temp gauge guts. No need to consider $400 for a temp gauge from tach panel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-1970-FORD-MUSTANG-SHELBY-TEMPERATURE-GAUGE-DELUXE-INTERIOR-WITH-TACH-/161085204301?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item25816d274d&vxp=mtr

Thats a tach panel I just restored.

Did you buy one of those repo clusters that is "ready to add your woodgrain"? If so, how did it go and do you like it? Also, what if anything did you do for the clock pod? BTW....it looks great!.

Dave

Dave, do the gauges work? That melted temp gauge is a classic example of when someone puts a tachometer cluster in a non-tach wired car. The non-tach cluster has the ammeter gauge in the left pod, so you get more amps pushing through the temperature gauge than what it was made for and often fries the gauge.

That damage is as Buening said and not from room heat but from inproper connection. This is the damage that Instrument Specialties is fixing on my panel now. I have never noticed the problem with the fuel gauge though. It would be connected to oil pressure sender but would have had power to one side of it? Got pics of it?

100% original R code with 11,000 miles on it. Never been apart except for paint in 1988. Factory equipped with tach (I think it was standard on all stick cars). Is the melted mark have a typical look like mine?

Now I'm wondering if this "voltage" issue that is being talked about has anything to do with the car turning over with the key but dies after key is released to the on position.

the mystery continues......

Sounds like you have a great specimen there. I dont think those gauges in normal operation should get hot enough to melt plastic. The melted temp gauge is the tell-tale sign of direct power application where it shouldnt be.

I have read that when testing of fuel gauge to not leave tank probe wire grounded for long though I dont know if that would result in heat build-up resulting in what you have. Regardless if gauges are working they need to be refaced and you probably want to let a pro do it. They can also check and claibrate the two suspect gauges as well. Instrument Specialties will test for free and I think calibration if needed is $30?

Edited by miketyler