Sign in to follow this  
det0326

Rotisserie center balance point

Any of you guys that has a car/has had a car on a rotisserie approximately where were the center balance points on the front and rear? Just from looking at the pictures of some the rear looks to be about 3 or 4 inches below the center of fuel tank inlet tube hole and on the front it looks to be maybe 8 or 10 inches above the top part of the lower radiator cross member. Can anyone confirm the measurements?

Thanks Dave

I referenced mine on my home made rotisserie from the center top bolt of the bellhousing.could have been 1 inch or so higher, but it worked great.

Hope this helps,

John

Thanks John, I don't have the engine or tranny in it, it is just a shell. I guess I could measure from my bellhousing top hole and to the mount and get a reference point.

Thanks Dave

if you are making a rotisserie, i hope it's adjustable.

this is where mine ended up.

IMG_3490.jpg~original

IMG_3535.jpg~original

Yes Buckeye I am making a rotisserie. I was trying to determine the pivot points to make fixed pivot points to simplify it since this is the only time I would be using it. I am not to for along that I could not make it adjustable though. I suppose your car is long off the rotisserie by now but do you still have the front bracket bolted in the proper position to get a measurement from the front frame rails because that is where I am mounting mine in the front but the back is a little different but it does look like the center of the pivot is about 4 or 5 inches from the center of the fuel inlet pipe hole.

Thanks for any help you can give me BTW thanks a lot for the pictures.

Dave

Edited by det0326

My empty shell balanced in the same spot as Buckeye's. It never crossed my mind to make one that wasn't adjustable.

Bob

Yea Bob back in the day before I retired I had access to machine tools such as lathes and mills even CNC machines , that was my work history, and I would not have given it a thought either I would have made a Cadillac of a rotisserie but in my older days I look for simple ways. If I can't get the pivot points though I guess I will wind up making it adjustable.

Dave

for anyone that wants to know my pivot points balanced out at 6 inches below the center of fuel inlet hole. Can roll it with one hand. I shot it with a laser level and put the front at the same height too. Works great. Just thought I would let everyone know in case there is anyone that might need to know that measurement.

Dave

My rear pivot point.

12160835016_937f07e61d_b.jpg

You can see the front pivot point is in the middle of the radiator support, but it is fastened in the same place as BuckeyeDemons rotiserie. As you can see, I used bumper mounting points for both the front and back.

11345511546_89aa30b46e_b.jpg

for anyone that wants to know my pivot points balanced out at 6 inches below the center of fuel inlet hole. Can roll it with one hand. I shot it with a laser level and put the front at the same height too. Works great. Just thought I would let everyone know in case there is anyone that might need to know that measurement.

Dave

So if I flip my mounts, it will roll easier? As it is now, I can put it up on 90 degrees by myself, but there is some weigth to it.

fvike your pivot points look to be a might high which would make the car a little bottom heavy. It is hard to tell from a picture though. Mine on the rear from center of fuel inlet tube hole to the center of actual pivot axel is 6 inches down then I used a laser level but you could use transit or water level and put the front at the same height. The reason I used a level of some sort is because my garage floor has a center water drain and is not perfectly level other wise I could have just measured up from floor to get the front height. Some pictures I have seen that other people had their cars on rotisseries seem to have the front pivot point lower but I don't know why because if there are not the same you would get a wobble effect when rolling the car. I modeled mine after Buckeye's just by eye site because I never could get any actual measurements because he had long taken his car off the rotisserie. Luckily it turned out well for me though. If yours is just a little heavy but it is working for you I would not worry about it. I was just giving the information that I had found out in case there were others out there that would need to build one for themselves.

Dave