Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

What external parts are needed for an AOD

I'm going form a 4 spd Toploader to an AOD.

Here's a list of questions. If there is something you'd like to add, please do!

What kind & where to fine trans lines.

What type of cooler.

Will my crossmember work, if not, What!

Can I use a stock floor shifter, if so what parts, I'd like to use the center console again.

If I can't use the stock floor shifter, what can be used in the original console.

Any ideal of driveshaft length, does it need to be custom made.

I put an AOD in a 67 coupe

Nearly a direct bolt in

Must use aftermarket cross member. Back then they were not available so I made one

I used the original shifter but required some playing with it to work right. I think I did a little grinding on the stops so everything stopped and worked with the detents in the trans and the shifter....no big

The AOD needs a kick down linkage to work properly and shift properly. If you do not use one you can wreck the trans ( so I am told)

You need the block plate, the correct flex plate too

Bob

I changed from a C4 to AOD, it was not that hard. You can use your existing driveshaft, but you have to use the part from the tranny to the first differential from the aod car. That piece is shorter with an aod car, so when you get your tranny, get that piece ( called a yoke, I think) with it.

The stock floor shifter for the C4 will work fine with it.

I made my crossmember, it was easy to do. You can also buy it, but I have heard some of the ones you buy do not work that well. If you have to modify something you buy, you might as well make your own.

Your radiator might have cooler lines in it already, maybe just plugged? Look at it and see. If not, you will need a very small external cooler. Fluid lines can be made at just about any parts store, or they can be purchased. I made some simple adapters to use my C4 lines. You might buy the C4 lines, but you would need to put adapters on the tranny end, and maybe also on the cooler end. Making your own might be best.

There are a lot of discussions on this web site, they were worth a bunch. Good luck!

I am getting ready to move to an aod and I am converting g the trans lines to an and Ru king aluminum tubing up front to the trans cooler which has an inlets. All done in -6an.

I am just going g to build my cross member from the old fmx unit and I believe you can buy the shift linkage from summit but I plan to make one of those as well.

The TV cable is a must it modulates line pressure. Lokar sells one for a carb. Also depending on the trans a baumann reprogram kit for the valvebody and an a+ od servo should be in the works as well.

Trans lines: reshape original AOD lines or make your own.

Cooler: Any good quality cooler for 20,000 GVW or larger. Generally, the bigger, the better.

Crossmember: Make one or order aftermarket like http://www.ebay.com/itm/67-68-69-70-71-72-73-Mustang-AOD-Conversion-Transmission-Crossmember-Automatic-/291117566774?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43c7f58b36&vxp=mtr

Lokar linkage kit for stock floor shifter: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lok-aca-1807/overview/

Lokar AOD kickdown/modulation cable: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lok-kd2aodht/overview/

Lokar carb bracket for AOD cable: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lok-srk-4000/overview/

Driveshaft: This varies. I was able to use my stock FMX driveshaft without any modifications. I've heard others needed to shorten or lengthen depending on which original trans they had. Cheapest would be to find a used shaft out of an FMX equipped '69-'70, and have it straightened and balanced of course.

Hope this helps.

I had a new driveline made. You have to use a C4/AOD slip yoke. The FMX slip yoke is too big. You can use the Ford factory TV cable system, but you will need to mod the brackets at the top and bottom and add a ratio corrector at the carb throttle. I have pics if you like. I built my cross member also, but I think some have been able to use their cross member depending on what they had to begin with I think. Your floor shifter will work just fine. Reverse the shifter rod. It too will need to be hacked up and re-welded to work. B.

Wow, great response. Thank you so much!!

I'm getting the trans built by Silverfox, here's what they say about the valve body. It seems that there is Constant Pressure, so the adjustment of the TV cable is only for kickdown.:

The Silverfox Performance Transmission - Manual Auto Constant valve body is a CONSTANT PRESSURE unit that has both manual and automatic capabilities.

Eliminating TV pressure modulation means no more worrisome TV pressure settings and, more importantly, the pressure will always be there when you need it most. Line pressure rise will be more consistent and quick to react in “off the line WOT situations”. Built off of the SPT-R2 base, with overdrive lockout, the SPT-MAC is an effective street / strip valve body designed strictly for performance applications over 400hp. Utilizing the TV system as a “kick down” style application allows this valve body to maintain its auto functions. If disconnected, the valve body will perform much like a manual valve body, and will not downshift with increased throttle – perfect for that day at the track or dyno!

I forgot that the stock Center Console AT shifter is for a 3 speed AT.

Is it possible to rig it, so that it will work 1,2,3,OD,N & P.

If not, what can be used in conjunction with the Center Console?

Edited by prayers1

Aod only has 3 drive positions.if I remember correct so that's a non issue. Also a complaint with the aod, no way to hold in second as its (1)-(2-3)-(od) without a valve body mod. Silver fox is the man. His body will hold second.

PA Automatics also have a valve body that changes the shift pattern to 1-2-d-o/d-n-r-p. I can't say report on how it is as I haven't fitted it yet. Also remember long tube headers will not fit as the AOD pan is wider and longer than C4/Tpoloader. I had my driveshaft shortened, but I believe a stock driveshaft with an AOD will fit fine. The problem is the C4 yoke is approximately 1" longer than an AOD yoke.