Sign in to follow this  
rep1969

New (To me) Mach 1

I found this on Epay and it was just a town over. I jumped on it and was wondering what you guys think.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mustang-Mach-1-1970-351-4V-Cleveland-/231183547632?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=WT%252Bzq6zzhEt%252F5qUUDoxE4IaWUPY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Edited by rep1969

We'll need some pics to confirm no rust. An Illinois car without rust? Do they mean rust thru? Welcome to the site.

Bob

Edited by RPM

How odd it is to see the spitting image of what my car would've looked like when new... '70 Mach 1, bright gold metalic paint, Ginger interior. For that reason alone, I like it a lot. And this one has the M code Cleveland and 3 speed manual instead of the H code Windsor and FMX my car came with, which is a bonus. The asking price seemed absurdly high at $18k, so I hope you paid A LOT less. Here in Florida, better cars sell for less than that regularly.

Anyway, looks like a great project. Welcome to the forum.

Actually from what I can put together it has been in CA til 1999 or 2000 sometime. It has been in storage since then. I have been going over the pretty thoroughly and have only found surface rust and just a few pinholes in the trunk area. I will pics up tomorrow night.

Looks like a good find - and mostly original. The 4v / 3 speed is an interesting combination, seems to beg for a 5 speed conversion. I like the color combination, would be nice if it had a few more options. These cars are very expensive to restore - I should know as I'm doing one now. I would think you would need at least 12k to do a "nice driver" restore on that car, and more if you wanted add options like power steering, power disc, toploader, etc.

If you want to see what something sold for "best offer" in eBay, you just search completed auctions and sort by price. You can approximate the sales price by the items above and below it. Based on that, this car sold for a lot closer to $18k than $1. But if the buyer here is happy, that's all that matters.

I don't know the numbers but that gold car seems like a pretty rare color. That exterior color coupled with the ginger interior makes it a pretty unique car to see at a show. It's also cool that it still has those original wheel covers. It seems everybody does magnums these days. You rarely see those OEM covers on a 70.