Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

What parts are interchangeable from 289 to 351C

I'm pulling the 289 and 4 speed toploader out and installing a 351 Cleveland.

Could I reuse the same motor mounts, starter, pulleys, flywheel and bellhousing. From what I understand, both blocks are external balanced 28oz.

Cant say for sure the pulleys can be used as I don't know if your 289 has the 3 or 4 hole balancer /pulley set up. But the motor mounts, starter, flywheel (providing it is the correct imbalance) and bell housing can be used. The 289 and 351c are both SBF

Stater, belhousing, engine mounts and all be reused

One problem is that the 351c factory used a larger flywheel and belhousing so the starter body may hit the oil pan rail. On a car I put together this happened and I was able to bend the lip over on the pan a little and make it clear

You can also,go,to a smaller starter

Bob

Thanks all, Good to know.

Right now I have the 164 tooth flywheel with an 11" clutch set up. Problem is that flywheel is cast and I'd like to get a steel one.

I did buy for the 289 a Professional Products Harmonic Damper that's drilled for either 3 or 4 bolt pulleys. It also has the spacer that will fit with the Cleveland, so I assume I can the use the bottom pulley as well.

I wonder if the water pump pulley will line up and fit as well?

indianfiremach-If you have the time, yes pics showing the relationship is good. You can either post here or email me at prayers1@cox.net.

Thank you

Motor mounts and starter for sure. You need to use the larger small block flywheel and bellhousing for the 351C. Pulleys from the 289 are not going to work. And that is it. I did this same swap years ago and that was all I could reuse.

Clutch fork is the same for all small blocks 289-351W/C as is most of the other clutch hardware.

However Z-Bars are different between ...

289-302

351W

351C

Funny thing is in 3 catalogs I looked in (CJP, MU, & NPD) there is no listing for 351C and don't know what the difference could be.

At one time, I had swapped in a complete 4-SPD / clutch assy / bellhousing from a 351W on to a 302 using all 351W clutch hardware and it all fit perfectly. So I don't know what the difference is between 289-302 and 351W clutch / bellhousing that requires a different Z-Bar ... maybe larger dia. 164T vs. 157T flywheel ??

My point is, maybe a complete 289-302 trans / clutch hardware including the z-bar might work on a 351C just as the 351W stuff if used as a complete set will work on a 302.

Doug

Edited by stangs-R-me

I put a 351c in my '67 fastback. I reused the 289 motor mounts and clutch linkage, including the z-bar. It worked perfectly. I robbed pulleys from a 302 equipped truck at the junk yard. 289's have a 3 bolt balancer, and 351c's have a 4 bolt.

Joe

I put a 351c in my '67 fastback. I reused the 289 motor mounts and clutch linkage, including the z-bar. It worked perfectly. I robbed pulleys from a 302 equipped truck at the junk yard. 289's have a 3 bolt balancer, and 351c's have a 4 bolt.

Joe

While they may bolt on, the crank pulley and water pump pulleys are not the same size between a 302 and a 351C. You will spin the 351C water pump too fast and cavitate the water pump. I ran into this problem when I did the same swap.