Sign in to follow this  
DarkBuddha

big brakes for disc spindles?

Didn't someone used to make a 13" Cobra conversion for the '70-'73 disc brake spindles? I've spent A LOT of time searching, but can't find it anywhere. Seems like maybe Street or Track did something like that at some point, but I thought there was someone else selling a conversion kit. Or am I just nuts?

Looks like their kits require drum spindles:

"What FRONT spindles do I need?

The kit was designed to utilize the most common spindle for the vintage Mustang, Cougar and other small Ford cars..... the 5 lug drum brake spindle. One point to take note of is that for Mustang applications from 1964 - 1967 the drum and disc spindles were the same at the brake mounting interface. For those year applications, you can simply unbolt the OE caliper bracket and bolt on the Vintage Venom caliper bracket. For later years, if you have drum brakes...you are good to go. If you have OE disc brakes, you will need to install a set of drum brake spindles in order to utilize our kits. Drum brake spindles can easily be found at vintage salvage yards or on E-bay."

If you're going to have to buy drum spindles for your conversion, get the 70's. The spindle shaft is larger than the 69 and earlier. They use different bearings, but the same hub you now have.

Bob

I'm fuzzy on my memory but along with the 1970 larger bearings, I believe the benefit of the drum spindles is they are supposed to be stronger compared to the disc spindle - due to the disc spindles having a hole drilled in a location that could cause weakness.

I think I have that statement somewhere above 50% correct.....lol.

Yeah... the Street or Track kit is $1800. Kinda cost prohibitive for me. I can do a 13" Cobra conversion on drum spindles for under $500, including buying the spindles, which is more within my budget. As is, I think I'll try to pick up some drum spindles and do the 13.2" S197 GT brakes. Even with spindles, I should be able to pull that off for less than $400.

Still, would be nice not to have to buy spindles at all.

Then make your own brackets for the disc spindle. I made them for mine till I switched to the 70 drum spindle.

Bob

user6734_pic1093_1334464858_zps16df84b5.jpg

I believe MustangSteve has a kit using cobra parts.

http://www.mustangsteve.com/cobrabrakes.html

I thing I used his rear brackets for stock GT parts... But been so long I've about forgotten.

Edit: I lied, I used UltraStangs sn95 rear kit. He has a cobra kit as well brackets only.

http://ultrastang.com/products4.php

Stephen

Edited by Protowrxs
I lied...

I have stock disc brakes in my ar but they are that 1-piston model, is there any options just upgrade brake calipers but stay with stock disc?

Cobra calipers and suitable brackets maybe?

I have two set of wheels which I am using (15" and 17") so brakes can not be too big :001_huh:

Then make your own brackets for the disc spindle. I made them for mine till I switched to the 70 drum spindle.

Bob

While I like the idea, to be honest, I don't have the time or resources to make 'em myself. And by the time I did get the measurements and prototyping done, and then fab'd/machined, it'd be much quicker and probably cheaper to just do drum spindles and another kit.

I have stock disc brakes in my ar but they are that 1-piston model, is there any options just upgrade brake calipers but stay with stock disc?

Cobra calipers and suitable brackets maybe?

I have two set of wheels which I am using (15" and 17") so brakes can not be too big :001_huh:

Actually, that would be a nice option... something to look into for sure. Maybe Wilwood or Brembo have a caliper that might work. I like the idea of being able to run 15s, but I wish there were more good 15" tires in good sizes to choose from.

Street or Track does have a kit for our OEM disc brake cars. No one else makes a kit that I know of. Why is that anyway?

http://www.streetortrack.com/Street-or-Track-13x1.25-Rotor-4-Piston-Forged-Aluminum-Caliper-Brake-System-pr-24556.html

ST13X125-2PC-4P-ALUM4-DISC_small.jpg

I really like these brakes. The fact that they retain the OEM track width is great. Mike what pad and rotors options do you have? What are your rear brakes? Next winter I will be replacing my SSBC 11" disc brakes. Alan

I have SSBC OEM sliding style rear disks and the SSBC aluminium 4 piston fixed calipers in the front. They are good but you have to be very cautious stopping a 418W in a slam on brake situation. I like the Wilwood brakes but they don't seem to offer a 13" setup for drum brake spindles. the 13" Baer brakes are the bomb but really expensive and I believe they increase the track.

I run the large Street or Track kit on my Mach. GREAT parts, and they fit like stock. However, I am running 17" wheels.

Going from 4 wheel Drum, to Street or Track's 4 wheel Disc, was easily the BEST modification I've made to my car.

f53t5g.jpg

Edited by Powershift