Sign in to follow this  
jgkurz

POLL: What engine should I buy for my Q code

Hi All, I have a 1969 Q code Mach1. Today it has a sluggish 429ci from 70 Galaxie. I want to replace it with a stronger FE.

I'm considering the following options.

1) An original 1969 428CJ engine and C6 trans from Torino. This setup hasn't run since 1986 and will cost me 6500.00 for everything complete from carb to oil pan including brackets and mounts. I estimate a rebuild would be about 2-3K.

2) A 427 side oiler with STD bore, dual carbs, and medium riser heads. It was professionally built and has Lemans rods, ARP bolts, and is capable of a hydraulic cam. It has a BIG solid cam today. Crank is steel and is turned 10 on the rods and 20 on the mains. Comes complete carbs to oil pan but no manifolds. Price is 9K, I can get a rebuildable C6 trans for 150.00. I estimate 2-3K for new camshaft, headers, and trans rebuild.

I do not plan to sell the car but the 69 428CJ setup would increase the value of the car, especially if it had the correct date codes which would be highly unlikely. On the other hand, a side oiler is a great engine and would add a certain coolness to the car, albeit not authentic.

What would you do if you had a 10K budget? :biggrin:

I'm sure the side oiler wont hurt the value lol. I probably would go with the 428 to keep it original. If you get the side oiler, be carful. Friend had one (it was built of course lol) and he had to stiffen up the frame. You will lose about 100 lbs if I remember right losing the 429. Now on second thought, I want the 427 lol. Naw the 428 will be cheaper if anything goes wrong. 427 cost loot to fix when things go wrong.

I am all for FE motors since I just built a 445 Stroker for mine. They are not the cheapest to build, but can make good power and understand puting it abck in there for more originality. That is the reason I built up my FE and didn't move to a windsor style motor. For the above I would think either would be a nice choice. Probably get a bit more out of the 427, but sounds like more to do to get it in the car.

However with the 385 series already in the car $10K towards that motor would be pretty badass and can make some really good power.

Stroke that 429 to 557! Use alum intake and heads to get your 100 lbs back. Me, I'd build a nice 428. It belongs there. My cousin offered to sell me his 427 for my mach one, I passed.

Bob

All those engines are bad ass!! Stroked out 429, 427 s.o. or 428cj. Wish I had that problem lol I like being unique and would choose the 427. But your car at the end of the day and do what ever what makes you the happiest. All tho a stroked out 429 twin turbo would be hella sweet.